1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 won't load. Or repair. Or factory reset.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kyran64, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyran64

kyran64 Thread Starter

Howdy everyone....I'm working on a Samsung 305e5a laptop and I'm getting severely frustrated, so maybe someone here can help point me towards the tools I need to figure this out.

WIndows won't load. On startup, I get the screen that says a previous run of Windows has failed to load propperly and lets me try to Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally.

If I start Windows normally, I get to the windows logo and it freezes.

If I try to boot into safe mode, it loads up to a certain file then just hangs there.

If I launch the startup repair, I get to a screen with a mouse cursor and pretty blue wall paper, but no repair/recovery utilities ever actually load.

If I use a Windows 7 Repair disc, I get the same thing. The same pretty blue wallpaper but no window full of recovery options.

If I hit F4 on the Samsung splash screen to try to load from the recovery partition, I get a DIFFERENT pretty green wall paper that says "Please wait..." and again, no tools ever load. Ever

If I use a windows 7 installation CD that I have sitting around from another computer, it at least loads to a window where I get the options to install windows or repair windows. If I select repair, the window vanishes and I'm once again left with pretty blue wallpaper and a mouse cursor. No recovery tools or options.

I have a copy of Hiren's BootCD installed onto a thumb drive. I've tried loading Mini Windows XP from it but it fails to load and reboots me right back to the "A Previous attempt to load Windows has failed" screen.

I've successfully booted the system using the Linux based Parted Magic. ..from there I've managed to copy almost 70 gigs of data from the harddrive to back it up.

I've been trying my best to research the problem and the two things I've most commonly seen people say all over the place is "Check the memory" and "The HDD is probably failing."

I've got Memtest86 running right now and given the 70ish gigs I just copied, I don't think it's the harddrive but I'll be happy to run whatever diagnostic is recommended to verify that. I tried running the Disk Health program in Parted Magic but honestly couldn't tell one way or the other from looking at the report whether or not my disk had any problems or not.

Obviously, I'd love if I could just repair windows so it boots...or repairs..or does anything. I'm happy to wipe to factory settings if I have to though and the recovery partition appears in tact...I just can't get Samsung's software working to use it. Is there maybe a way to copy the partition and use it to make some system recovery discs from another computer? Or bypass their software altogether and kickstart an installation from some kind of a command prompt or from linux or...anything?

......I'd certainly appreciate any input anyone can give me :confused:

2. kyran64

kyran64 Thread Starter

Memtest86 has run for almost 12 hours now, completing 10 passes with zero errors.

3. kyran64

kyran64 Thread Starter

I got an external casing and took the hard drive out of the laptop. I plugged it into another computer and ran Chkdsk /f from that computer on the laptop's hard drive and was able to repair the file structure.

Putting the hard drive back into the laptop, it was able to boot normally. I'm going to call this problem solved for me.

For anyone experience similar issues but with no extra computer to run chkdsk from....all I can say is "good luck" *sigh* There may be some Linux options for running Chkdsk but I spent 2 days searching. Pretty much everyone assumes that there's no possible way for you to ever 'not' be able to at least get to a command prompt so I had no success in trying to find a way to run chkdsk from a CD or USB drive or such. ...but that's just about what you'd need to be able to do (probably).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice