1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 8.1 and Antivirus

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by LauraMJ, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

Hi,

Does anyone know if Windows 8.1 has it's own built in antivirus? I read somewhere recently (and now can't remember where I saw it) that Windows 8.1 has a built in antivirus program and that you should not install any on that system yourself.

Is this correct?

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

yes, it has a built in antivirus from Microsoft called windows defender - which is Microsoft Security Essentials for windows 8 and 8.1

often however, manufacturers will put a trial version of a third party security suite on like, norton, mcafee etc

3. LauraMJ

Yes, this laptop came with a trail version of Norton, which is why I am confused. Isn't it a bad thing to have two antivirus programs installed? Why would they encourage you to add Norton, or at least make you think you need to install something, if they already have one built in?

I installed Avira when I bought it, and while I have not seen any problems, should I uninstall it?

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

you should only have 1 antivirus actually running - they can be on the PC , but not enabled

windows defender will be turned off and norton will take over , you may get asked to enable and setup norton when you start the PC for the first time

I would use the removal tool for norton, to get rid of that program if not required

how to turn windows defender on/off in windows 8 / 8.1
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/21962-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Money. I don't know if OEMs get paid for every trial Norton (or other product) installed or only get paid when the customer buys a subscription to the product, but definitely there is financial incentive to install these products. That helps the OEM keep the PC price down and/or profits up. :)

6. LauraMJ

I had told it no at the time, as I detest Norton
    Had already done that so I could install Avira.
    I'll check and make sure it is off.

Thanks. :)

7. cripser

cripser

From what I understand, if you want Windows Defender to protect your computer you have to completely remove Norton (or other 3rd party) and then enable Windows Defender. My new win8.1 computer came with Norton trial pre-installed and I plan to remove it (never liked Norton or Macaffee). Until I decide I'll keep my new machine off-line. On my XP machine- being retired now, I ran MSE along with Superantispyware and Malwarebytes (maybe redundant) Microsoft claims that Windows Defender provides protection against viruses and spyware/malware. Anybody want to recommend an ideal product or combination of products to protect my new computer?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Windows Defender in Windows 8 and 8.1 is actually the MSE for earlier versions of Windows. So, cripser, your XP strategy is actually pretty good for 8.1 also.

9. golddust

golddust

Avast is pretty good - much better than it was years back and it's free (I believe there is a pay for version as well). I have Defender running on my 8.1 computers though. I see you are retiring your XP machine. Just as well since support for XP ends in April and earlier, I believe, for MSE running on XP.

10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

golddust

support for mse on xp has been extended for one year - to april 2015

11. cripser

cripser

XP support ending was the final straw for this machine. I've put up with the broken hinges, wheezing fan, and, always racing HDD. I really didn't think it would last this long! Good to hear that Microsoft extended support for another year since I have another XP machine that I'll continue to use for some software not supported by Win8 and I can't afford to upgrade yet.

12. golddust

golddust

OK, but new downloads of the software are being stopped as of April 8 of this year. Leave it to Microsoft to keep changing their minds. These dates seem to change by the day.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115864