1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 8.1, C:Drive Full & has errors

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by T4tlrman, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. T4tlrman

T4tlrman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Terry
    Geek squad subscription just ran out (probably a "Bad Word" around here) ...

Running Windows 8.1 on an HP Envy TS 17 Notebook / 64 bit and everything was fine till someone adjusted the security settings.
    Very reluctant to recover to previous point - don't want to lose $400+ MS Office Suite

Got it to come out of it, have corrected a number of problems but still plagued by, "Scan of C: drive detected errors. Please close and repair" - I can' find a "repair drive" utility feature...

For some reason my C: drive went from 25% full to completely full. Now I can't even save a link to a favorites site. I've transferred all pic's, most documents and anything else I can access to flash drives and nothing has made a dent as far as freed up space goes.

I was at Windows tech support and couldn't get help because updates couldn't be installed - I can't download TSG SysInfo or I would.

Anything in the way of advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Backup any data not yet backed up.

Right click on the "C drive" - Properties - Tools tab - under Error-checking Check Now... - select both options - Start. It will tell you you have to Restart, so do that.

After the system restarts open a Command Prompt and type

chkdsk C:

and press ENTER. If any errors are found then type

chkdsk C: /f /x

after you press ENTER it will tell you that you need to Restart. Restart and repeat this procedure until you get no more errors or until you realize that some of the disk errors cannot be fixed.

Buy a new hard drive unless the errors were minor and do not repeat soon.

3. T4tlrman

T4tlrman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks TerryNet, but if backing up data requires C:Drive memory it's not going to happen. My Recovery Drive/D: is nearly full too (no idea how... does C: force data there when it gets full?)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You should not be writing anything to the Recovery partition unless you have made your set of Recovery DVDs and are pretty confident that they are OK.

Backing up data means to make at least one other copy of it on different (from your hard drive) media.

5. T4tlrman

T4tlrman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Terry
    T., I attempted repair of c: but was prompted, "Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode".

I haven't saved anything to d: recovery partition that I know of.

I've got a problem with my MS account sign on too and I think that's another conflict that's causing some annoying problems...

I've been trying to uninstall preloaded crap apps but can't. I can't perform some minor functions because I'm prompted c: is too full - like opening a jpg!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry; I forgot that you have to use the elevated Command Prompt in Windows 8(.1).

7. T4tlrman

T4tlrman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Terry
    T, can you tell me how to use the "elevated command prompt" for Windows 8.1? Please, T

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Right click on the Start button and select Elevated Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Administrative). (I forget which it is called, and am not presently on 8.1.)

9. T4tlrman

T4tlrman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Terry
    Found hardrive (907 GB's) was full of security app logs! Couldn't "Uninstall" software without App Support.
    App support helped me run in elevated (Windows Icon+R) and was able to uninstall security app.

The logs had filled 864 GB's of hard drive!

One of the few glitches left is inability to open "PC Settings". It tries to open (flashes across screen then disappears to the task bar as an icon).

I can run trouble shooters, diagnostics, repair utility and just about everything else. Unfortunately, without being able to access "PC Settings" I can't download Windows Updates...

Any suggestions? (I really appreciate you working with me TerryNet-)

10. T4tlrman

T4tlrman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Terry
    Managed to get to updates thru a back door - after installing nearly 30 updates & rebooting BIOS discovered errors and re-imaged computer and auto created a new restore point...

I'm thinking the worst is behind me. Don't need a new hard drive from the looks of it.

Will deal with not being able to access PC Settings asap. Right now I'm enjoying looking at 857 GB's of free space!

Life is good!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice