1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 8.1 upgrade fail

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jaydubs, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaydubs

jaydubs Thread Starter

Hey all.... Hope you're enjoying your Memorial Day weekend. I was, until I decided to do an upgrade to Windows 8.1 (from Windows 8). It seems to be functioning 'normally'. The only problem I'm having is with my display settings. I'm using a Vizio 24" tv as my monitor, connected via an HDMI cable. Everything was working perfectly before the upgrade but now I can't get a window to open up to the full size of my screen. I've gone through the process of attempting to update my graphics drivers but get the message that the best drivers are already installed. I've got my display settings as high as they'll go - 1920x1080.
    Hopefully I've explained my problem clearly. Is there anything I can do or am I going to have to live with this? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD E1-1500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 20 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 5849 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 459743 MB, Free - 319688 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, SX2110G
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is that trying to install the latest driver from Gateway's or AMD's web site?

3. jaydubs

jaydubs Thread Starter

That's just using the 'device driver update' link in 'Device manager'. I will visit the AMD site next. Thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I was concerned that may have been the case.

This is my preferred order for finding drivers:

1. PC manufacturer's web site,
    2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
    3. Device manufacturer's web site,
    4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
    5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
    6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
    7. Use Windows Update.

(4 through 7 are really tied, and with Windows 7--and maybe 8/8.1-- the Windows Update should be at least 4th. The main message is that the first three are almost always to be preferred.)

5. jaydubs

jaydubs Thread Starter

Thanks dude. That helps. I've been to AMD's website and the only way I can get a driver update is to pay for it. Big surprise. Headed to Gateway's site now.

6. jaydubs

jaydubs Thread Starter

Unfortunately, Gateway doesn't offer updates on any drivers for Windows 8.1. UGH!

7. jaydubs

jaydubs Thread Starter

Found a site to d.l. the AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics 8.1 driver. Unfortunately, that doesn't help at all. So.... any body else have any ideas? Thanks

8. jaydubs

jaydubs Thread Starter

So out of sheer desperation I searched Yahoo using the search words "Display trouble after Windows 8.1 upgrade" or something to that affect, and started clicking links. And low and behold, I found a solution to my problem. If anyone cares to know, this is how I solved my problem: went to 'Device manager', clicked on 'Display Adapters', brought up the properties for my graphics card, went to 'Drivers' tab, clicked 'Uninstall', checked the 'Delete the driver software for this device' box, and rebooted. I still had the same issue upon reboot, BUT! When I went to the 'Screen Resolution' window, the slider was at something less than 1920x1080. So I moved it and it actually changed my screen/display size. Problem solved!
    Thanks for the help TerryNet

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's kinda weird. Thanks for posting the solution.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1126649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice