1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 8.1 where is all my memory going? memory leak

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bmdkks, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmdkks

bmdkks Thread Starter

Hi

It didn't usually do this, but probably after some windows update it started happening. 50+% of 8gb ram used when idle. Task manager and resource monitor doesn't show what is using the memory. When I add up all the services, it doesn't even add up to 50%. More like 15-20% of total ram.
    Does anyone have a fix? I've looked and already tried disabling the ndu.sys via the regedit (changing value of start to 4). It didn't work.
    If you don't have a fix, perhaps you can guide me in trying to identify the problem.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6017 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 217212 MB, Free - 19517 MB;
    Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., SAMSUNG_NP1234567890
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Don't know why it says windows defender is disabled. It is not.
    Also, the system info utility did not detect my AMD Radeon HD 7576m 1024mb

Windows was upgraded from 8 to 8.1 a few months and and didn't display said problem until recently. Windows is legit and registered etc

2. bmdkks

bmdkks Thread Starter

Ok, I had hyper-v enabled. Although it wasn't running, it seems as though windows was still reserving some resources for it. Once I disabled it via "turn windows features on or off" and restarted my memory usage immediately returned to the way it was.

3. droidmaverick

droidmaverick

enabling Hyper V will anyhow consume memory even when not in use. Enable it only if you going to run programs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice