1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 8 C:/ folders missing.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by vaughand, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vaughand

vaughand Thread Starter

I'm in the process of upgrading my a couple of my home computers to Windows 8. I've been doing clean installs on each machine and have backed up my files from the various hard drives to my main computer using Acronis True Image.

I've just finished installing Windows 8 on one of the machines, took the hard drive out, connected it to another computer, copied its documents to a folder on the C:/ which I called backup. Now upon putting the drive back into the Windows 8 computer. The backup folder I created on C:/ is missing. I've turned on hidden files, and unchecked 'hide protected operating system files' but I still can't find the folder. The space is being used on the hard drive, so the files must be there, and they show up when I connect that drive to a Windows 7 computer. I'm a little perplexed by this, can anybody shed some light on this for me? :D

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Is it possible that it is under another username from the second computer. Or, perhaps, under "users\Public?

3. vaughand

vaughand Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestion, but no luck. If I transfer the files directly to the user account folders they show up just fine, it just seems whenever I put them directly under c:/ that they disappear.

4. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    The permissions on the root of C:\ are different and you should not really put any files directly in C:\ but either in a folder in C:\users or if they are programs in C:\Program files (x86) or C:\Program files. Use the Security tab of C:\ and add your account to have at least Read and List permissons to view other files.

5. vaughand

vaughand Thread Starter

I figured something along those lines. Thought it was a little odd seeing as that's how I've done it on previous versions of windows. Thanks for your reply's either way, I shall take your advice. Cheers.

6. Win64_Fan

Win64_Fan

I also faced same problem, I noticed that for some reason, Win 8 hides the Drive C stuffs if its installed on some other drive. However there is one easy fix for this. Follow these steps:

1. Right click "My Computer" ->goto "Manage"
    2. In menu on left side click "Disk Management" under "Storage". This may take few moments to initialize
    3. Now you will see a detailed list of your partitions on the Hard Drive. Here you may note that Either your first partition may have a drive letter or may not
    4. Now in case it does not have a drive letter then, right click that partition, goto "Change Drive Letter and Paths", select "Add"
    5. In case you have Drive letter already visible then, right click that partition, goto "Properties" -> "Security" -> Add Permissions

Hope this fixes your problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice