1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 8 internet connection problems

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Asurezefer, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Asurezefer

Asurezefer Thread Starter

Hello, I have Windows 8 Pro installed on my laptop. It is an Alienware M17xR3

Ever since I had it installed I've had problems with internet connectivity and I've tried both wired and wireless connections. I've searched and tried everything I could to get it to work but the problems continue. My laptop either connects to a network and then have issues whenever it goes in sleep mode or doesn't connect to a connection at all.

It's extremely irritating and I want to get it fixed right away. Getting help would be very much appreciated it.

2. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Under the properties of the network devices, set them so that sleep/hibernation will NOT power down the device.
    When powered do, then the connection can not be made until the device is restarted.

3. Asurezefer

Thank you for the response.

I have checked it so that it stays on. I restarted my computer and tried to connect again, but my connection still reads "Limited"

When I try to troubleshoot, the problem that is listed is
    "Wi-Fi" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

4. cipherprime

cipherprime

go to your start screen.
    type cmd
    right click on the icon and left click on open as administrator
    now type "ipconfig /release"
    now type "ipconfig /renew"
    restart your computer

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and maybe 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

6. Martyr844

Martyr844

I had some problems when I started with windows 8 as well, except with mine it was that Microsoft had installed an updated driver that my system didn't like, if you uninstall the drivers for your wireless and wired connections under the hardware manager then restart your system it should re-install drivers on its own. I would only do one or the other to start with though in case for some reason it doesn't re-install them.

7. Asurezefer

I was able to get it working, thank you all!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You're welcome. :) What was the solution?

9. Asurezefer

It was your advice about the TCP/IP stack repair option, thank you!

10. TulsaHank

TulsaHank

Just purchased Lenovo Yoga with Windows 8 and IMMEDIATELY started having internet connection issues with IE, and all of the Microsoft Apps. Almost returned the laptop! Too much work, but tried a search and the TCP/IP stack repair that you recommend worked perfect. EVERYTHING is working like it should. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You're welcome, TulsaHank. :) Thanks for registering to tell us.

12. XxTammiexX

XxTammiexX

I have internet connections problem of the same description. Dont quite understand how to do what you said.
    I am finding that i cant watch things and limited access comes up alot. i have checked everything and just cant get it to work .

13. davehc

davehc Trusted Advisor

Best make a new thread, XxTammiexX.
    This one has been marked as solved and may not get a good response

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078106