1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by KevinDunk, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KevinDunk

KevinDunk Thread Starter

I purchased a copy of Windows 8 Pro for my Windows Vista computer and upgraded it. I recently bought a new HP with Windows 8 installed. My question is...if I remove Windows 8 Pro from the old computer can I use it to upgrade my new Windows 8 machine to Pro or do I have to buy Windows 8 Pro Pack. I haven't seen anything if you can use Windows 8 Pro on a computer with Windows 8 already installed. I don't want to lose any of my files, settings, etc. Thanks for everyone's help in advance!!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hello
    NO is the short answer
    To install the Windows 8 Pro upgrade, your PC must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview. If your PC is running Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview, your files, apps, and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro. If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you'll need to reinstall your apps. Some features such as touch might require a new PC.

On the other side of the coin - it depends on what you bought
    YOU can uninstall the 8 from the computer on which it was first installed and then that enables the reinstall of Vista - the licence for which is revoked when the upgrade is installed.

However you CANNOT use an 8 PRO UPGRADE to upgrade 8
    The only possible ANSWER is and I WOULD NOT try it myself - so I would certainly NOT recommend you do whatever you read and where you may read it, is to uninstall 8 from the HP and install another eg XP Vista 7 and then upgrade that

Personally as I said I would NOT even think of it.

Pro-pack is the answer - unless HP have a cheaper offer
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/feature-packs

and the advantage there is that when it is initiated and completed you have the computer running the pro

3. Macboatmaster

KevinDunk

You asked for help and advice on your new HP computer on 28 Jan
    I replied with my views the same day
    Would you please respond when you get chance

4. KevinDunk

KevinDunk Thread Starter

Thanks I purchased the Pro Pack

5. Macboatmaster

Thank you
    A response is always appreciated

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice