1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 8 Will Not Install

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by boweasel, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boweasel

boweasel Banned Thread Starter

My dad's got one of those horrible Dell XPS One 24 units that ran Vista. He decided to upgrade to Windows 8 and sent away to IYogi for the disks.

Nothing went smoothly and he ended up with a PC that wouldn't boot and had the Win8 disk stuck in that riduculous slot (why do PCs makers continue to try to get away from the tray?).

Anyway, I got the disk out, put the disk back in, formatted the drive, and apparently, installed Windows 8. But it won't boot. I turn it on, and I get the Dell logo with the F2 Setup and the F12 Boot Menu, then I get the blue Win 8 logo with the spinning white dots, and then nothing. Just a black screen.

Now at this point I have no idea of the PC's specifications - I don't know if it has a 64 or 32 bit processor. He brought the unit to my house and the CD I retrieved from the [profanity removed by mod] slot was a 32 bit. He got the 64 bit CD from IYogi but I don't have it here.

Could a disparity between the disk and the processor be causing the problems? Is there a way to determine the type of processor on this unit - being aware that it will not boot into the OS?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I have no idea how much you paid but it is £24.99 from Microsoft on a download and you can create the installation media on dvd

However that is water under the bridge now
    It may however help you if I tell you that as far as I am aware iyogi DO NOT sell software

3. boweasel

Yes, it is water under the bridge, and no, it does not help. My father purchased the software, and he told me he'd bought it from iyogi, but it doesn't really matter where he got it, It's an authentic Microsoft Windows 8 disk with a legitimate product key. Where it came from is totally immaterial.

4. bbearren

bbearren

Have you visited the Dell Support site to see if the machine is compatible with Windows 8? It may well not be.

5. Macboatmaster

Thank you for replying.
    I wish you the best of luck with it - as I will not be offering any further assistance.

Where ever he bought it from I recommend you have him, or you on his behalf, ask the supplier, if it is not obvious from the product literature - exactly what the disc is -

Ideally, you would install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 no matter what. You get better performance, support for more RAM, and some other benefits. However, some computers don't have 64-bit hardware and thus can't run a 64-bit operating system or software.

When you download Windows 8 Pro Upgrade from Microsoft, you'll get the 64-bit version if it's compatible with your computer. If not, you'll get the 32-bit download.

If you purchase a Windows 8 Pro Upgrade DVD from a retail store or online, you can choose which to install if your computer is 64 bit. If it is 32 bit you can only install the 32 bit

System Builder versions of Windows 8 are packaged separately so you'll need to decide on 32 bit or 64 bit prior to purchase.
    These may now legally be purchased by the private end user who is building his OWN computer

If you're not sure if you have a 64-bit computer (the prerequisite for installing a 64-bit version of Windows 8), you can check from the System in Control Panel - or rather I should say you could if there was an OS

Of course you can still check in the spec for the Dell XPS

WHAT I am at a complete loss to understand is this

As I NEVER made any mention or suggestion that it was NOT - as in red
    I simply said I did not know they sold software

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did your dad run the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor?

Computer Will Not Boot to Microsoft Windows 8 may be of help--but I doubt it.

Dell appears to have Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit drivers. So, you could try 64-bit if you get the DVD from your dad.

I think sometimes computers designed for Vista need a BIOS update for Windows 7. I'd update the BIOS if it doesn't have version 1,1,4,

I looked, but didn't find anything about that model's compatibility with Windows 8.

7. boweasel

No, he let himself be TOTALLY guided by iyogi. I'm sure they're nice people, but they're out to make a buck, and I slightly resent them foisting Windows 8 on an 84 year old man. He's not gonna be comfortable with W8. He wasn't completely proficient on Vista. But here we are...

I assume that his PC can run W8 - I know it's got 4 GB of RAM which should be enough, but I don't know enough to know what else goes into the equation.
    Have already run a full diagnostic from Dell's pre-boot system assessment build. It passed all the tests. I also reset the BIOS to defaults, then put the CD drive in boot position 1, and saved the changes. Will check out the rest of the suggestions.
    Yeah, I guess, but that sort of begs the original question - does this PC have a processor that is ONLY compatible with a 32 bit OS, or a 64 bit OS? Or does it matter? I dunno. That's kinda why I posted.
    Good catch! That had never occurred to me! And this Dell monstrosity runs BIOS 1.1.1. But the link gives me pause: This file format consists of a BIOS executable file. To use it, download the file and copy it to a DOS-bootable diskette. With the diskette in the floppy drive, reboot the system and run the program.
    Uhhh... bootable diskette? I have no idea how to translate this info into something workable in the 21st century. Do I have to download it to a bootable dvd? How do I even create a bootable DVD? Or can I download it to a flash drive and run it from the DOS prompt using the repair option with the W8 disk? Will it even recognize the drive? Once again, I just don't know.
    I could find nothing, either.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good grief! :( Me neither. I hadn't read the description beyond the year (2009). Don't know what to do with that executable. Will see if I can find some reinforcements.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A colleague suggested this Flashing Your BIOS. Note that it includes a ton of warnings, and since we aren't sure the upgrade will really help proceed cautiously. BIOS upgrades scare me.

10. boweasel

Thanks, but gee....... , I dunno. Given that Windows 8 is going to be problematic for someone in his 80's.....

I think I'm just going to write off his W8 adventure as a life lesson (for him and me), and reinstall Vista. The technical 'gurus' at iyogi are supposed to be calling here in about an hour. I'll give them a shot at it, but if they start talking about flashing the BIOS or my dad paying them more money I'm going to tell them that they're irresponsible jerks (I can say that, can't I?) for pushing an old man to buy Windows 8 from them (he showed me the receipt, Macboatmaster), and that he should get his money back, since they apparently failed to do due diligence about the ease of switching his OS

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's at least worth a shot. :) If those wise guys do get Windows 8 running then may as well stick with it. It should run better than Vista and with a third party Start Menu or some setup can look pretty much like Vista. If they do get Windows 8 please take a look at my Taming the Windows 8 DESKTOP GUI. Good luck.

As for "irresponsible jerks" as long as you are trying to get them to do something just use the big word about behavior and leave off the name calling part. :)

12. Macboatmaster

boweasel

I also wish you and especially of course your Dad the best of luck with it

May I stress that I read this
    and as I said, I did not know that iyogi actually sold software. Obviously as they sold him the installation discs I am wrong.

I agree that it is unfair, if in any way whatsoever your Dad was put under pressure as you now say

as against he decided to upgrade to 8 and sent away for the discs.

I suspect it may be the graphics driver
    This may be of interest to you for when the Techs arrive

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19486861.aspx

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-windows/88281406-83cb-4ff7-aa7b-843e181bfb86

As I said good luck with it.

If by any chance the F8 allows you to boot it in safe mode try that - immediately on the Dell screen

13. golddust

golddust

Wow, if this monstrosity (your name for it lol) is so old it still uses floppies, I'd take a wild guess and say it probably could not run Windows 8. Haven't seen a computer with floppy disks in ten years. Are you sure it came with Vista and not XP?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, it came with Vista, and the model first appeared in 2008 I think.

15. boweasel

Here's the 'update', folks. (And thanks, everybody for pitching in on this. I really appreciate it)....

Firstly, iYogi never called me. We originally had made an appt for them to call my dad at his house Tuesday at 11PM EST. But over the weekend we lugged this beast down to my house, so we called them to give them my phone number for the call (my dad is not awake at 11PM). At 11:10 last night I called iyogi and they told me that they had called, but of course they used HIS phone number and it went to an answering machine. Another strike against them. They told me that the technician that had called was now on break, but he'd be calling me back. I made them promise that they'd call my number, and I made them repeat it back to me.

Of course they didn't call. Strike 2. At 1:30AM I called them, only to be informed that they'd called 22 minutes ago. And of course they called my dad. Again.

My dad's supposed to trust them with his PC and they can't even handle something as simple as a phone number change?

I had to make them go in their system and manually change the phone number to mine. They promise that they'll call at 11PM tonight. I am not holding my breath.

Macboatmaster, you may very well be right about the graphics card, but updating it in a PC that won't boot might be difficult. Similar to TerryNet's also excellent suggestion about updating the BIOS. But these are things that iyogi should have addressed with my dad before they attempted to talk him through a Windows 8 install. Update the BIOS and/or the graphics driver while you still have a working OS.

If you've got an easy method for updated the driver, given the current status of the PC, let me know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice