Solved: windows 95 boot disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fred_elliot

i have a formatted computer system that im fixing for a friend...a fresh copy of windows 95 which she wants installing..but i dont have a windows 95 bootdisk...ive tried downoading some from various sites...but i get a message when trying to boot from them...I/O error...ive tried to change the boot prority to the cd drive but i cant find how to get to the BIOS menu

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. I don't believe Windows 95 disks are bootable anyway.

On the 95 bootdisk download, be sure the expand the download. You just simply can't save it to the floppy disk and expect it to boot.

The bios will need to be set to boot from the floppy drive first. Most access options are F 1, F 2, or the DEL key. Compaq computers, F 10.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
AcaCandy is right. A Windows 95 boot disk does not have CDROM drivers built into it like a Windows 98 boot disk does. You'll have better success using a Windows 98 boot disk. That still doesn't guarantee though that the CDROM drive will accept and make use of the Windows 98 generic drivers.

How did you format the hard drive without a boot disk?

If that computer has at least a 200 - 233 Mhz Pentium processor and at least 64 MB of RAM, you should consider installing Windows 98SE instead.

Let's see if Bob_Cerelli reads this post. He may provide a resolution to your problem.

I have a section with instructions for creating a boot disk at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/floppies.htm

There is also the generic one which you can download and extract at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/win98_img.exe

There are a lot of the DOS utilities there that don't normally get added when you make one from Win98. For example Diskcopy, Doskey, Format, More, Move, Sys, Edit, Chkdsk, Deltree, Extract, Fdisk, Attrib, Label, Mem, Scandisk, Scanreg, Smartdrv and Xcopy.

Not only are there more utilities on there but it starts much faster since it doesn't have to create the RAM disk and then expand the cab file from the floppy to that RAM disk.

It automatically loads with support for a generic CD ROM and assigns it the drive letter of X:

There is also a CD ROM boot image you can download at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/win_boot.iso

fred_elliot

thanks for your help everyone...i tried a windows 98 boot disk instead and now im all up and running

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online