1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Windows 95 is now doing something, er, annoying...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by shelley, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Since installing and uninstalling an application I now get a dialogue box on completion of Windows boot which says ~

"Windows 95 is now setting up the following items"
    [nothing is listed but I assume it's referring to items in systray]

How do I turn this message off?

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Not exactly rushing to help on this one are they Shelley I dont think you can just turn it off though,looks to me like the uninstall of that application wasnt very good for some reason can you not re-install it and uninstall again failing any tech guy help?....

3. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Because of various problems with the application I installed/uninstalled several times. The application had that dratted C_dilla registration program attached to it which you can never totally get rid of, though I'm not sure whether this is responsible in this case.

The application, by the way, if it helps, was Autocad 2000.

4. telecom69

Well Im not a tech guy Shelley but get by and if you want to try a free trial un-installer go to www.alphasoftware.com you never know it could do the trick and with tech guy assistance a bit thin on the ground for you its worth a try ....Bob

5. telecom69

Another un-installer rated very highly by Pc magazine is available for download from www.quarterdeck.com its called cleansweep ....

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Shelley, why don't you try re-installing it (do a minimum re-install), reboot a couple of times, then go to the control panel, add/remove programs and un-install it again.

7. telecom69

Well Shelley lady luck has smiled on you, you have now got the number one Techlady on board so never fear the end is near best of luck..... Bob

8. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Hi AcaCandy, telecom69. Thanks for the input. I feel I must have re-installed, rebooted, add/removed the program many times; even tried to eradicate it via the registry. No joy. I'll give it another go and then download one of the uninstallers mentioned, then let you know how I got on. The popup box doesn't threaten my life, but it does threaten my sanity!

9. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Hi all, thought I'd bring you some cheer and bring all up to date with this one.

I installed minimally and uninstalled once more, no joy. I intended to download one of those uninstallers mentioned but couldn't find the one from Quarterdeck. Instead I used another called Ashampoo. Not easy to use but it didn't clear the message anyway.

As it is, I am now using AutoCad on a regular basis (to keep a client happy) so uninstalling the software is no longer an option.

Is it still possible to stop the pop up box appearing? It may be that it has nothing to do with AutoCad and something else is causing it to appear. How would I know?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The individual who posted for this same problem in Google>groups identified the key named below. We can have a look and delete it if it is there.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q="[email protected]

To do so, go to start, run regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

With RunOnce highlighted look in the RIGHT hand pane for something that corresponds to your problem. Normally there would be no entry at all there. If you find one, just right click on it in the right hand pane and delete.

You can also examine the other Run keys nearby for anything suspicious. If you are unsure of whether to delete something, click on Registry> Export and save the key to the desktop before doing a deletion. Double clicking it later will merge it back to the registry if you made a mistake.

11. telecom69

Ok Shelley well RollinRog has given you something to try and he usually comes up trumps when the going gets rough,but if you want a programme to stop all pop-ups appearing try this one called aptly pop-up stopper www.panicware.com best of luck Bob ....

12. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog, I luuuurve you!

Looked for said key but the file was only occupied by Name (Default) Data (value not set). However, next door, in 'Run' I found this ~

mdac_runonce "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\runonce.exe"

Deleting this seems to have done the trick.

Bob ~ I looked at this but it only seemed to be for blocking pop-ups on the 'net, not generated by Windows (unless I misread the notes).

Thanks again to all who helped me have a annoyance-free Xmas!

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That was the baby :) It got placed in the wrong run key and so remained when it shouldn't have.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice