1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Windows 95 to Windows 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by klaireabow, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klaireabow

klaireabow Thread Starter

I couldn't find anything when I tried searching for an answer to this question - so I apologise if it has already been answered and I missed it

OK - I have a laptop with Win95 on and I want to put Win98 on it instead - BUT, I don't have an upgrade version of 98 only one for a new computer

My question is this - if I uninstall 95 and then install 98 will that work - will this kill the compter or what - it really doesn't matter if I lose all the info on it - there isn't much there really in the first place

Thanks for your attention in anticipation

Klaire-a-bow :confused:

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

Yep ! Just format your hard drive and install win 98, you will lose all of your data though.

3. EvileYe

EvileYe

You will need to ensure that the computer is set to boot from cd first !
    You can check this in the bios, to get into your bios you will need to hit the f1 key when your computer is booting up. (It may not be f1 it could be ctrl or some other key, each computer is different) Generally if you watch the start up carefully you will see it asking you to hit whatever key to enter setup.

4. klaireabow

Thanks for your replies EvileYe - and greetings from Melbourne!

I thought of formatting but then I would have to reload all my drivers etc wouldn't I for the printer and modem etc - these all came on the original disc from Compaq - I think it is called QuickRecovery or something so I don't think I am really that brave after all

I had a look in the add/remove program box but Windows 95 is not listed in there so I don't think I am going to be able to do it afterall without an upgrade disc - or am I :confused:

Anyway - thanks again for the reply and if you can think of anything else - please let me know

Klaire a bow ;)

5. EvileYe

EvileYe

You won't find it in the add/remove programs box.
    You will need to Format the drive if you want to install the full version.
    You should be able to extract the files you need for the printer and things from your compaq recovery disc.

Before you do a format you should disconnect all the external devices from your computer like printers and things and then add them in 1 at a time once you have your computer up and running.
    Don't be afraid ! it's not too complicated a process and there is always someone here to help if things go wrong.

6. john1

john1

i have a laptop which had Win95 on it,
    i put 98se on it and have not lost any of the stuff on it.

7. greengeek

greengeek

All my Windows CDs are full retail versions and all have been used to upgrade older OSs, you don't need to have an upgrade CD.

8. EvileYe

EvileYe

I stand corrected ! :)

Although I still think a "Clean Install" is the only way to go with any OS.

9. greengeek

greengeek

I agree with you on the clean install, I'd never do an upgrade on any of my own machines. The upgrades I mentioned were for friends who didn't want to lose all their settings etc.

10. klaireabow

Hello again

Ok I have decided that I will have to format the hard disc and install win98

I have downloaded on my PC the driver for the printer and the modem - do I need anymore?

Am I right in these directions

Restart in MS-DOS mode?

C\:format?

when that is done do I just put in the windows 98 disc and let that install and then install the drivers?

I hope to God this is right - I'm not going to do it though until someone gives me a reply

I don't know though if it is CD bootable - couldn't get into the BIOS thing as it din't give anything to press when booting up

Cheers guys

Klaire a Bow

11. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Hey now Klaire, look before you leap!

Do you have programs like OFFICE loaded. You will have to have those disks to reload.

You will lose a lot of preference and personal settings and such like and have to redo them.

What about address books and internet connection set ups?

Upgraded drivers! And IE will probably be 4.0 - that will need to be updgraded. OE will probably be 5.0. Same thing.

I agree with the eYe - a clean set-up is a nice way to go. But think about all aspects first. What will you get for the work involved. And their is work involved.

And you still have the option of just popping in the W98 and upgrading!

I am not trying to sway you either way - just to think about the benefits and drawbacks of each before you hit the button!

- Castleheart :)

12. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Before you format the laptop, PLEASE do a little additional prep work. Does the laptop have BOTH the CDRom drive connected at the same time or do you have to swap them out? If they are both connected, change the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the floppy drive is first. Then insert a Win98 boot dsik in the floppy drive and power up the computer. Choose "Start Computer with CDRom support". Now insert the WIN98 CD and at the E:\> prompt (or whatever letter is assigned) type dir then press enter. It should bring up a list of files and directories on the CD. If it does not or you get an error, the generic CDRom drivers on the Win98 boot disk will not work with the laptop CDRom drive and you will have to install the specific drivers for the CDRom drive before you can install an operating system!! This can sometimes be a pain in the butt.

Also, go HERE and download, install, run and print out the results of Belarc Advisor. This will give you a "snapshot" of what is installed on your laptop.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

13. klaireabow

Oh hello everyone - you guys are just the best :D

I have decided that if I don't know enough about all this then I shouldn't do a thing!

Windows 95 is so antiquated I just thought I would give it a go - but as I only use the laptop when I am at the beach to get my emails etc, I don't really think I will bother

When I put in the Win98 disk - it said that it was not an upgradeable edition - so I can't do that and as I said, I am really not game enough to format and kill my baby puter ;)

I can't thank you enough for all the input though - this really is a great forum - there is soooooo much info on it - too much for me and my little brain to comprehend

I think I will just put myself and my laptop to bed and leave it as it is

Thanks again - have a lovely day

Klaire a Bow

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Excellent choice :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice