1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Windows 98 & acrobat reader 6.0

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ligoodwin, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ligoodwin

ligoodwin Thread Starter

Please help me. I have Windows 98 and I have an attachment from an e-mail (it's a contract) that I desperately need to print out. I have been told that I need Acrobat reader 6.0 version to do this. I have updated everything it will let me do for Win 98. Now I'm being told I have to have Windows 98 second edition. I can't find a free update for this. Is there any way that I can get this to work? I have tried to download Acrobat reader 6.0 and the only thing it will let me download for Win 98 is the 5.1.0 version. PLEASE help. Thank you

2. bandit429

bandit429

3. bandit429

bandit429

If you can see the contract try making a new text document,,,,then copy and paste it in there. You should be able to print it from there.

4. ligoodwin

ligoodwin Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm sorry my post was misleading. I can't even see the contract. I can't get the attachment to open. I keep getting a message that says the file is not supported and will terminate.

5. brindle

brindle

Is that a quote and where is this message appearing?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The file should open in any version of acrobat...........who told you that you need 6? I'm still running 5 on some machines, and there is an XP version of 6 that WILL NOT install on 98.

7. ligoodwin

ligoodwin Thread Starter

AcaCandy, the company that sent me the contract said that I would have to have the 6.0 version. I've tried the 5.1 version and I get "Acrobat could not open the file because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been corrupted (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded) I contacted the company I'm dealing with and they told me to download the 6.0 version. When I tried that , the 6.0 version was only for windows 98 se and above.

8. ~Candy~

I think the keyword may be corrupted. If you care to email it to me, I'd be happy to open it. I also have the full version, perhaps that may help.

edit to remove email address to avoid spam :D

9. ligoodwin

ligoodwin Thread Starter

I emailed it to you. Let me know if you don't get the attachments. Thank you so much!!!!

10. ~Candy~

Hi, they read fine for me in reader only version 5.1.0. and I'm running 98FE on this system.

As I said in my email, I would either try to save them to a file folder on your desktop, then open reader first, then browse to them via file, open menu.

If that fails, go to add/remove programs, uninstall reader, then download it again.

11. ligoodwin

ligoodwin Thread Starter

THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!! I'm going to try what you said. Hopefully this will work.

12. ~Candy~

Keep us posted! :)

13. ligoodwin

ligoodwin Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your help! I finally got it to open with the help of my daughter. She removed and uninstalled the old version of Acrobat and redownloaded it. Thanks again. You're a life saver.

14. ~Candy~

:) Great! I love it when things come together :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice