Solved: Windows 98 boot disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sam95

My windows 98 will not start and is asking for a boot diskette but I haven't got one what should be done? is there anywhere I can download one?

sam95

Thanks for the information I wonder if anyone could help me with this I have a floppy disk and its got a file on it but every time I try to delete a message comas up and says 'Cannot delete file: It is being used by another person or program' but no other programs at all are open. could someone please tell me how to delete the file?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Sam95:

Use the link that blues_harp28 provided you, then click the "Windows 98 Boot Floppy" link. Download and save the win98_img.exe file.

Insert a blank, formatted 1.44 MB floppy disk in its drive. Double-click the saved file and allow it to extract its contents into the floppy disk. A progress window will appear and tell you when the extraction process is complete.

After it's done, double-click the A: drive icon to open its window. You should see a large number of files, which include the FDISK.EXE and FORMAT.COM and OAKCDROM.SYS files.

What's nice about this startup disk is that it can be used with both Windows 98 and Windows ME.

It also automatically assigns the letter X to the CDROM drive so you don't have to guess which letter to enter when typing commands in DOS mode.

I've used it many times with success for fdisking and formatting a hard drive and then doing a fresh install of Windows 98 or Windows ME. (y)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online