1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 98 boot disk

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sam95, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sam95

sam95 Thread Starter

My windows 98 will not start and is asking for a boot diskette but I haven't got one what should be done? is there anywhere I can download one?

2. hansmax

hansmax

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

4. sam95

sam95 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information I wonder if anyone could help me with this I have a floppy disk and its got a file on it but every time I try to delete a message comas up and says 'Cannot delete file: It is being used by another person or program' but no other programs at all are open. could someone please tell me how to delete the file?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Sam95:

Use the link that blues_harp28 provided you, then click the "Windows 98 Boot Floppy" link. Download and save the win98_img.exe file.

Insert a blank, formatted 1.44 MB floppy disk in its drive. Double-click the saved file and allow it to extract its contents into the floppy disk. A progress window will appear and tell you when the extraction process is complete.

After it's done, double-click the A: drive icon to open its window. You should see a large number of files, which include the FDISK.EXE and FORMAT.COM and OAKCDROM.SYS files.

What's nice about this startup disk is that it can be used with both Windows 98 and Windows ME.

It also automatically assigns the letter X to the CDROM drive so you don't have to guess which letter to enter when typing commands in DOS mode.

I've used it many times with success for fdisking and formatting a hard drive and then doing a fresh install of Windows 98 or Windows ME. (y)

-------------------------------------------------------------

6. sam95

sam95 Thread Starter

Thanks For the info

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice