1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 98 Documents Compatability

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by L Henry, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

I have documents that were prepared utilizing Microsoft Word on a computer running Windows 98 2nd Ed. and saved on 3 1/2 floppy disks. Can these disks be utilized by a Microsoft Word program running on a computer with Windows 2000?

2. RT

RT

Should be no problem.

Word is pretty good at being backward compatible with previous versions, if that's your situation.
    If you create the documents on the Win2000 computer and try to open them on the Win98 machine, you might encounter problems if different versions of Word are used.

The operating system should make no difference.

3. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

Documents created on computer using Windows 98 2nd Ed. Having problems uning them on computer running windows 2000. Both computers are using same version of Microsoft Word 2000. Documents were saved on 3 1/2 floppy disks.

4. RT

RT

Same version of Word...hmm.
    Would it be possible to open and save (Save As, I should say) in a different format? Give it a different name, however slight, so your original document will be retained. Use the "Save As..." option.

I'm assuming the originals were saved as *.doc, could you open and re-save them as, say, *.rtf, copy it to a floppy, then see if they will open on the Win2000 computer?

Well just try one file first, actually.

5. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

The floppy drive on the computer running Windows 2000 was defective. When this drive was replaced the problem disappeared.

I appreciate all the help. Thanks

6. RT

RT

Thank you for posting back with your outcome!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice