Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Windows 98 problems

740 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  gmcsierra99 
#1 ·
my computer goes to the Compaq screen, then after that i get a error, something like "Cannot find any operating software on the hard drive or any other devices" or something like that. can anybody help me? thanks.:)

#2 ·
hello?

#3 ·
The exact message might be helpful. Things to check.
Make sure your system recognizes that you have a hard drive.
Make sure the aren't any disks in the floppy or CD drives.
Make sure your system is set to boot from the hard drive.

Report back after you've checked the above.

#4 ·
the exact message is: "Operating system was not found on any devices. Press any button to try again." all the hard drive cords are in there tight. theres nothing in the CD-ROM, dont know about the floopy drive. and what do you mean by "make sure your system is set to boot from the hard drive."

#5 ·
If this has just happened out of the blue, then its likely that your hard drive has died or that your Windows 98 installation on the hard drive is corrupted to to point its no longer recognisable to the system.

Thats exactly what the message is telling you, that it cannot find any Operating System (Windows 98 in your case) when it boots.

Computers usually try the CD drive, the Floppy drive and then the hard drive. If no disks are in the CD or floppy drives that are "boot disks" it then boots from the hard drive in normal situations.

If Windows (or the hard drive) no longer exist in a workable fashion you get that error.

Does that clarify it?

#6 ·
If you have a floppy drive check to see that there aren't any floppies in it.
If you have a splash screen you may not see any messages about entering setup. Compaq often uses the F10 key. Try continuously pressing F10 while you see the cursor flashing in the top right hand corner on the screen. If it works you should enter setup where you can do two things. One is to check the boot order to see if the hard drive is set as a boot device and also to check the IDE devices. You should see your hard drive listed probably as primary master.

#7 ·
kiwi, i know that this computer has viruses, and i started getting the messages about a week ago, i would get the options to press
F1 to boot, or F10 to enter computer setup. now i think that the virus completely ate the hard drive away.

#8 ·
well for 1 i opened up the computer and i noticed the power cord on the hard drive was off.

#10 ·
before ot was plugged in and it didnt work. im trying another hard drive right now.

#11 ·
i tryed the other hard drive, and i still got the same error message.

#12 ·
any other suggestions?

#13 ·
nvr mind i fixed it :D, i took it all apart 2day and checked all cords. i checked the hard drive power cord that was tight, then i checked the IDE cord (think thats it), it was tight in the hard drive but on the motherboard it wasnt in all the way!!! put it in alll the way, then fired it up, WORKED!!! :), i was about 2 go out and buy a new hard drive. thanks everyone 4 all your help!!!! :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.