Solved: Windows 98(PROMPTS GALORE) :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hillian

I have this computer that use to belong to a bank and so they had to wipe the hardrive so all bank records would be gone. So now i have this computer that has no idea its even a computer. I got to install windows 98....but of course nothing can be easy bout it. I got windows 98 2nd ed. cd and a 3.5" floppy boot disk. So i format the hardrive to a FAT32 system like im suppose to. the hardrive is 13.5GB and im running 128 mb ram on a 500mhz system. So now you'd think that windows 98 would load up and extract itself on the hardrive. This isnt the case. i ahve the 98 disk in and the boot disk out and what happens is it shows the 98 loading screen for a second then goes to a C: prompt.Ive tried typing everything and still nothing.....

anyone help me out here?maybe a command for the c prompt i could use?

From what you've described, you've successfully partitioned and formatted the harddrive, and even transferred the system files onto the C: drive, probably by using the FORMAT C: /S command from the floppy disk... You see the Win98 splash screen flash briefly on the monitor, and then you get dumped at the C: prompt... is that correct? If so, you're doing fine, but now, you need to boot the system with the bootup floppy disk again; choose "CD-ROM SUPPORT" from the floppy Bootup Menu when asked, which is Option number 2, assuming you are using a standard Win98 bootup floppy disk.

Many older systems have to be "guided" every step of the way in order to install Windows; they do NOT work as expected when no operating system is present on the drive. Follow these instructions EXACTLY, and you should be able to install Win98 without a problem; if you deviate from these step-by-step instructions AT ALL, the odds will not be in your favor... I will type the DOS commands you need to use in ALL CAPS, simply to make them easier to read. You do NOT need ALL CAPS to make this work (DOS ignores letter-case); I simply use them to make it easier to read the DOS commands.

Do NOT insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive UNTIL instructed; Windows Setup sometimes fails if the CD-ROM is placed into the CD-ROM drive too soon in the process.

Anyway, boot the system with the bootup floppy disk, and choose Option 2, which will install CD-ROM support during bootup. When the floppy disk finishes booting the system, you'll see the A: prompt, which should look like this:

A:\>

First, type this:

DELTREE /Y C:

and press Enter. That command will delete any files currently on the C: drive; we'll delete them just in case there are files hidden on the C: drive that could cause problems during the installation of Windows.

When you see the A: prompt again, type this:

SYS C:

and press Enter. That command will install a fresh version of the Windows System files onto the harddrive, which will ensure that they are all intact, and installed where Windows expects to see them.

You should get a message stating "System transferred", or something to that effect.

Next, type this:

C:

and press Enter. You should now see the C: prompt, which should look like this:

C:\>

When you see that, type this:

MD WIN98

and press Enter. You should see a blank line, and be returned to the C: prompt, which will look like this:

Now, type this:

A:

and press Enter. You should once again see the A: prompt, which should look like this:

When you see that A: prompt, put the Win98 CD into the CD-ROM drive, close the drive door, then type this:

E:

and press Enter. The prompt will change to the CD-ROM drive, which is the E: drive, where you just inserted the Win98 CD-ROM.

Next, type this:

CD WIN98

and press Enter. The prompt should now look like this:

E:\WIN98>

If that works, it means that the computer has successfully found the CD-ROM disk. Now, type this:

A:

and press Enter. That will return you to the bootup floppy disk, which will display the A: prompt again, and look like this:

Next, type this command, and pay CLOSE ATTENTION to the SLASH (/), the BACKSLASH (\), and the SPACES in the line. DO NOT change this line for any reason; simply type it EXACTLY as it appears; do not ADD any spaces, or SKIP any spaces. Do not confuse the SLASH (/) and the BACKSLASH (\), or this won't work. Simply type the following command EXACTLY as I've typed it here:

XCOPY E:\WIN98\*.* C:\WIN98\ /V

EDIT TO ADD DETAILS:

NOTE THE SPACES in that string; I will fill them in with "@" symbols, so you'll see where they belong:

[email protected]:\WIN98\*.*@C:\WIN98\@/V

When you type that command, do NOT include the "@" symbols; I've used them here only to demonstrate where blank spaces should be, in order to make it obvious where the empty spaces belong. We can also represent them with an underscore "_", like this:

XCOPY_E:\WIN98\*.*_C:\WIN98\_/V

In that case, you would leave a space every time you see the _ symbol; hopefully, including those "@" and "_" symbols will make it easier for you to see where to leave spaces in that DOS command.

END ADDED DETAILS

You should see a lot of activity on the monitor; DOS should copy the Win98 setup files onto the harddrive from the CD-ROM, which will take a few minutes.

When the files are successfully copied onto the harddrive, you should see something like this on the monitor:

121 files copied

and be back at the E: prompt, which should look like this:

E:\WIN98>

If EVERYTHING worked as it should, you can eject the floppy bootup disk from the floppy drive, and remove the Win98 CD from the CD-ROM drive. Once you've done that, press the RESET button on the computer, or press the CTRL-ALT-DEL keys, and the system will reboot. Do NOT reboot until AFTER you have removed BOTH the floppy disk and the CD-ROM from their respective drives.

When the system reboots, you should see the C: prompt, which should look like this:

Now, type this:

CD WIN98

and press Enter. You should now see this:

C:\WIN98>

Next, type this:

SETUP /IE /IV

and press Enter. Windows should start installing on your harddrive; it will run Scandisk and report if it finds any errors on the disk. Just follow the prompts it gives you, and everything should install without a hitch.

BTW, there are bound to be others who disagree with me, or try to contradict my instructions for you; you will have to decide which method to follow, but be aware of this: if you don't follow these instructions and use the DOS commands EXACTLY as I've typed them, I won't know which changes or deviations you've made in this process, and I won't be able to help you work around any problems you might encounter. If you boot with the CD-ROM already in the drive, you might have a problem; if you do any step out of order, you might have a problem. PCs do NOT always work the way they "should"; my methods are designed specifically to address that issue. If you'd prefer to do this another way, or accept contradictory advice from anyone else, we'll both be a lot happier if you simply ignore this post completely. The choice is yours...

If you encounter any problems, make good notes, then let me know what happened, and I'll try to help you work around them. I can't and won't be responsible for helping you if you deviate from this method; if you do this my way, I'll know how to advise you in dealing with problems. If you don't use the DOS commands I've provided, or follow these instructions in the order presented, all bets are off.

Good luck with this; post any questions you might have, and I'll try to help you through the rough spots you might encounter, though I've tried to anticipate them, and even avoid or prevent them, with these instructions, which have taken me a considerable amount of time to type for you.

EDIT: I've added details for clarification of spacing required in a DOS command.

Hillian

"and even transferred the system files onto the C: drive, probably by using the FORMAT C: /S command from the floppy disk" i tried formatting last nite like with that format c: /s and it gets to 2% and says insufficient memory!?

ugh...

OK, now that I know that, can you tell me any details about the bootdisk you're using? You can look at it in Windows Explorer, and describe what you see on it, or better yet, paste a screenshot of the contents, including the dates and timestamps on the files, so I can figure out if it is worth using, or if you should simply create a new one...

Here's a BETTER idea; download the MADBOOT floppy disk program, and use it to create a NEW floppy disk for you. MADBOOT will provide you a point-and-click GUI method of doing a complete fresh install of Windows without all of the heartburn...

http://www.madboot.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=13&Itemid=28

You'll have to create an account there (they've just changed the website, and no longer allow anyone to download MADBOOT.EXE without creating an account first).

Just open that link, then follow the prompts...

EDIT: Start with THIS link to CREATE an account:

http://www.madboot.com/dev/componen...dex.php?option=com_registration&task=register

Hillian

MADBOOT saved me....everything is upo and running...thanks sammy sosa

Glad we could help you, such as it was. I was looking forward to helping you figure out what was wrong with your system, but when you mentioned problems with "insufficient memory", I figured you'd probably NOT know all the gory details, and simply wanted to offer you the best way to get the job done quickly.

Hope you'll pass the word about MADBOOT... you handled this repair WITHOUT me, but I've got some other challenging repairs to keep me busy...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online