Solved: Windows 98 SE Startup Failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DMARK

System fails on boot (can only boot via Safe Mode).
384MB

Bootlog.txt first failure at
LoadFail = c:\windows\fonts\MARTLETT.TFF Failure code is 0016 (though that file does exist in that dir)
and lots of font failures thereafter

Bootlog.txt ends w/
Starting Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)
Started...[same]
Enumerating...[same]
Enumerated...same]

Had some virus infected files deleted prev'ly. Downloaded AVG Free and deleted about 25 files (afraid I may have deleted something required)

Any help appreciated...

blues_harp28

Hi and welcome to TSG.
!st try restoring the registry..
F 8 at start up..choose command prompt..type scanreg/restore
Choose date prior to problem not the oldest.
If that does not work..scanreg/fix..

DMARK

Thanks - can now boot up in Normal mode.
However I do now get a message on the way up:
'Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows app.
The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists....'
vshinit.vxd

I thought it was the recently installed AVG antivirus prog (as that was not working) but I reinstalled that and it seems fine.
Is there a way to find out what this startup message is referring to and to fix it?
Thanks.

blues_harp28

Hi..it's a file for McAfee anti virus program..
Go start>run type msconfig..click on system ini uncheck Vshinit.vxd apply..ok..reboot..

DMARK

Tried to do this but when rebooted had same prob (shutdown on startup).
When rebooted in safe mode, did not see Vshinit.vxd in SYSTEM.INI tab in MSCONFIG.

Tried to do a scanreg/fix (successful); but could not shutdown command prompt so CTRL-ALT-DEL. (how do you gracefully shutdown from command prompt - neither exit, quit worked)

After that, same prob; came back up in command line, tried to do scanreg/restore but that gave same result - would not boot up; now seem to be losing what was the 'good' registry from a few days back.

All I had added from when it seemed to be working was reinstall of SVG antivirus. Could that be conflicting w/old copies of McAfee and Norton I have (I've been unable to delete those).

blues_harp28

Hi..McAfee and Norton still on your system..will cause no end of problems..
Removing both..would be my next move..

DMARK

Thanks - I came across the McAfee but it seems Mac-based
I did find
http://www.tucows.com/preview/195895 for a McAfee prog - prob though is that even when booting my prob machine in 'safe mode w/network' I don't get internet access. I then copied prog to CD but realized I don't have CD drive access in safe mode - arrrgggh!

I also found
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq.asp?frames=1&docid=68717&CategoryId=245&chat=
but this method also requires a prog to clean registry...

How do I get rid of this stuff?

DMARK

ran both.
is there a way to gracefully shutdown/reboot?

still unable to delete McAfee VS and Noton AV...

DMARK

did scandisk/autofix, scanreg/autorun
still hanging on way up...

Safe mode w/network support doesn't give me internet access to get the programs needed to nuke McAfee and Norton - can I just delete their respective program files.
Norton does seem to be running on the way up after AVG. I get to the Windows splash screen and then it just shuts down.

blues_harp28

Hi..do you have a boot disk(floppy)?
To copy files from floppy..
Boot from floppy..let it boot up..type sys a: c:
Replace master boot record..
Boot from floppy..let it boot up...type fdisk /mbr
If that fails..
If you have your 98 install Cd..reinstall Windows..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online