1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 98 SE upgrade sound card problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Viriathus, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Viriathus

Viriathus Thread Starter

I have an older PC which I am using for all of my Windows 98 software I can not run on my XP and Vista PC's. After successfully installing Windows 98, (thanks to the help from members of this forum);), I began to install most of my ancient Windows 95 and 98 software. My sound card is built into the Azza Via P4X266 motherboard. Upon having some problems with the audio on some of my game files I downloaded and installed the Via Vinyl audiocodec v680b which seemed to be the most recent drivers for my VIA sound card. However as things will show I probably was wrong in choosing those drivers. Upon installing the just mentioned drivers my games were running fine when I tested them and the sound was great.

However, I have a few other programs that only work with Windows 98 SE. I then proceeded to do an "upgrade" install over the Windows 98 FE I had installed on my computer with my Windows 98 SE CD. Everything seemed to be working fine, until I began to test some of the programs I already had installed on the computer. I found that many of these programs can no longer play wave files. :(

I uninstalled and installed them with the same results. The curious thing is that on one of them, Caesar III, the wave files play during installation but not when one opens the game itself. The results are the same with Microsoft's Close Combat and with Europa Universalis II, just to name a few. The System folder says that all the sound devices and drivers are enabled and working fine and there are no exclamation points or unknown devices.

However with the older games that were made to run on Windows 95 the wave files play without a hitch. I have tried many things including removing all of my sound drivers and reinstalling. Trying only the original drivers that came with my motherboard installation CD, trying the new drivers I downloaded, then trying none at all and using the Microsoft default on the SE CD. All with no change. I'm stumped.... :confused: Help...

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    A couple of years ago, I had a problem getting the on-board sound to work in an old HP Pavilion desktop after formatting the hard drive and doing a fresh install of 98SE and then later a fresh install of ME. I eventually had to install an older Creative SoundBlaster PCI sound card and its drivers to get sound to work in that desktop. You may have to go the same route. :(

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

or, 'nother thought,
    if you insist on using on-board audio,
    install all of the oses, updatings and tweakings,
    THEN, install the apps and games,

4. Viriathus

Viriathus Thread Starter

Hi everyone. Well I went out and bought a SIIG Soundwave 5.1 PCI card, ($19.99), that was compatible with Windows 98 SE and installed it on one my free PCI slots on the Azza motherboard. I then disabled the onboard Audio in the BIOS in order to avoid any conflicts and rebooted. To my chagrin Windows 98 was not able to boot at all. :mad: My two solitary brain cells then remembered something about if the sound card is in the "wrong" slot it might cause crashes. Upon changing PCI slots my system and the card work very well. :) My system audio problems seem to be solved! Thank you very much guys! (y)

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear you had success. :D

6. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

A - L - R - I - G - H - T :) :)
    and appreciate your posting your solution,

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/794918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice