1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] windows 98 to windows xp

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mgw919, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mgw919

mgw919 Thread Starter

need help/advice on converting my os from win98 to winxp. all the new pc's we have ordered in are winxp, only have two operating here now that are 98, and they want them changed to xp. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, just want to do this as painlessly as possible. can back up and save to disk alot of my stuff, just not sure about microsoft outlook, have a lot of contacts and addresses in it. know how to save it as a pst file, do i just import it back to c drive, will it open as normal after installing winxp? thanks in advance........

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

The first thing you need to do is make sure the machines in question are capable of running WinXP. If they are not up to it, you will not be happy with the change.
    128mb of RAM is supposed to be the minimum, but generally performance is lacking. You relly should have at least 256mb. You will be far happier if the processor speed is at least 500mhz. There are other minor conflicts but most can be overcome pretty easily.
    Are these machines connected to the internet? That will help you quite a bit.

3. mgw919

mgw919 Thread Starter

is connected to the internet through lan, 254 meg ram, 80 gig hd. have constant problems with lock ups, have to unplug to shut down. my internet access is extremely slow compared to the other machines using xp here. they tell me this will help greatly with alot of my problems if converted to xp.

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

The best thing you can do, especially if you are having problems is a "Clean Install".
    Back-up all of your data to either a different drive or removable media like CD.
    Do NOT do the "up-grade" install..........your problems will follow you.
    Install from the WinXP CD and have it do the complete install.

Since you are connected to the internet, You should go to MicroSoft's website and make sure your machines are Ok with WinXP.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/default.asp
    You may also have some software issues with WinXP. Some older programs will not run with WinXP, but if you are changing an entire office, you will have to find an alternative for ALL of the machines anyway.

5. mgw919

mgw919 Thread Starter

thanks, will do as you suggested. i'll let you know how it turns out.....

6. thomahan

thomahan

I would suggest reformatting to NTFS also. I intalled XP on FAT32, and had start menu, and taskbar problems.
    Reformatted to NTFS, installed XP, and my machine runs much smoother than it ever did with 98.

My computer is:
    Compaq Presario 5200
    cpu is a 400MHz AMD K6-2
    164 Megs of RAM
    9 Gig HD

Good luck.

7. mgw919

mgw919 Thread Starter

problem solved, thanks a bunch. everything went smoothly.......

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice