1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows 98 to xp?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gmcsierra99, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmcsierra99

gmcsierra99 Banned Thread Starter

i was wondering if i can upgrade my windows 98 computer to xp? and i figured i'd come here and ask before going out and wasting money for something that wouldnt work on my computer. and input would be great. :)

2. czargoth

czargoth

What are your systems specs?

3. gmcsierra99

128 MB (upgrading to 256MB, i have 256 in the computer im using now, but will be upgrading both)
    10 gig hard drive

4. gmcsierra99

i had 256 in the other computer but threw one of the modules away because i had problems with the computer and thought that was the problem. (really long story lol).

5. czargoth

czargoth

does it have the same bus speed as the one listed in yor profile? my friend installed xp home on a pentium III 866mhz compy, that had 128mb ram, and a 20 gb hd, but it was intended for 2000...
    heres what microsoft has to say:
    • PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*

• Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

6. czargoth

czargoth

o yea, this to... i think your fine
    • For Internet access:

• Some Internet functionality may require Internet access, a Microsoft. NET Passport account, and payment of a separate fee to a service provider; local and/or long-distance telephone toll charges may apply

• 14.4 Kbps or higher-speed modem

• For networking:

• Network adapter appropriate for the type of local-area, wide-area, wireless, or home network you wish to connect to, and access to an appropriate network infrastructure; access to third-party networks may require additional charges

• For instant messaging, voice and video conferencing, and application sharing, both parties need:

• Microsoft .NET Passport account and Internet access

• For voice and video conferencing, both parties also need:

• 33.6 Kbps or higher-speed modem, or a network connection

• Microphone and sound card with speakers or headset

• For video conferencing, both parties also need:

• Video conferencing camera

• Windows XP

• For application sharing, both parties also need:

• 33.6 Kbps or higher-speed modem, or a network connection

• Windows XP

• For remote assistance:

• Both parties must be running Windows XP and be connected by a network

• For sound:

• Sound card and speakers or headphones

• For DVD video playback:

• DVD drive and DVD decoder card or DVD decoder software

• 8 MB of video RAM

• For Windows Movie Maker:

• Video capture feature requires appropriate digital or analog video capture device

• 400-MHz or higher processor for digital video camera capture

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

A lot depends on what you are going to do with it after installing the operating system. For example, if it is just basic web surfing, e-mail and light word processing, it will probably be fine. If you want to do a lot of graphics, high end games, etc., then it might be pushed a bit.

Also that 10 gig drive can run out of space depending on the amount of programs and data you have. It is also likely a slower spinning 5400 rpm one. That's a reasonably significant decrease in speed when compared to the more recent 7200 rpm ones. Depending on the age of the motherboard, you need to check on whether there is a BIOS update that can let you get a new one that much past a 20-40 gig drive.

8. czargoth

czargoth

on your other thread it says your computer recognizes your drive as around 7 and a half, i would not install windows xp on a drive that small, one of my games uses half of that. if you decide you need a bigger drive, go newegg

9. Deathblow

Deathblow

Why do you want to switch to XP? Typically an older system with less memory will perform better with an Older OS?

10. gmcsierra99

like i said, this computer with XP, 256 mb and the 7 gig hard drive runs ok, not too fast not slow, the other one has a 10 gig hard drive wouldnt that be fast? the other computer is going to be boosted to 256 also. (before i put in XP, if i do!!)

also im not going to be gaming at all, just internet really.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is it the same processor speed? And what is it?

And as Deathblow asked, is there a reason to switch. Or just to learn XP.

As long as your expectations aren't too high, and so far is seems like you understand the performance limitations, it will work.

12. gmcsierra99

well this processor speed is 664 MHZ, im not sure what the other one has, i think it's a little bit higher than this one, if not not much lower. if you can tell me how to find out what speed it is i will tell you.

13. gmcsierra99

oo and it is a Compaq Presario 5835.

14. czargoth

czargoth

a Compaq Presario 5835 runs at 500mhz.

15. gmcsierra99

ok, little bit lower then this one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice