1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows '98 vs. Windows '98 Second Edition

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by referee07, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

A friend of mine gave me an older Gateway Solo notebook computer that has Windows '98 on it. This OS is frequently crashing and I frequently get the "blue screen of death." I was thinking of buying Windows '98 Second Edition thinking that the "Second Edition" has eradicated the bugs that appear to be prevalent in Windows '98. What do the members of TSG.com think of this idea? Thanks in advance.

2. Foamer

Foamer Guest

98 SE is one of the most well rounded operating systems Windows ever put out.
    I think it would be a good choice.
    Sounds as if your going to have to do a clean install in any case.

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi alternatively if you have min 256 Ram installed and a processor speed of 700-800mhz
    upgrade to Win XP.
    In saying that I am still using Win 98se on one of my systems and apart from the odd blue screen and they do occur it is still a stable system.

4. Foamer

Foamer Guest

Make that "XP PRO" ;)
    I wouldn't wish the Home addition on Bin Laden. :D

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    referee07:

What is the model number of that Gateway Solo?

What is the processor speed and the amount of RAM currently installed?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Thanks, guys for responding. I tried to install Windows 2000 on this computer and there wasn't enough RAM to do the trick. I was told, however, that '98 SE will work and from everyone I have talked with, '98 SE is a very reliable platform. As far as I can tell, the Gateway Solo 2500 notebook is about 8 or 9 years old. I thought it would be a good computer for getting on the Internet with. It seems to run well (with the exception of the frequent "blue screens of death" and the constant "Internet Script Error" messages. I think that maybe with a new operating system ('98 SE) and new video drivers it will be a good computer. However, I see that a brand new Dell notebook is only $479, and I have already spent around $150 with taking it to a computer shop to clear-up some previous problems and a new Internet card. Now the Windows '98 SE program will cost about $60 (plus shipping). Anyway, it's fun trying to get the old machine up and running. And, thanks for all of the feedback.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice