1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 98/XP a question about both cause neither one works now

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thought I would see if someone could tell me what to look for or try on this ladies computer. She had Windows 98 on her computer. Her daughter gave her an XP disk so she put that on her computer, I guess she just put it on over the windows 98, anyway she said trhe xp worked great for she said about 90 days but now when she turns the computer on nothing comes up but the screensaver. The way I understand it is it just acts like it is starting but just show a screen saver and thats it. Can anyone tell me what I could try to help this person, my first thought was maybe she did not activate the xp but then it would not run for 90 days it would quit after 30 days. Even if that was the case shouldn't I be able to get the windows 98 back for her? would it hel;p to use a windows 98 start up disk? Or any ideas, she said she went and bought an xp upgrade disk but that did nothing, I told her that is what she should have done in the first place. so If I can get her windows 98 back up she could then use the windows xp upgrade disk to put xp on for herself. Can someone give me some ideas of how I can get back in so I can do something for her? THis is all the infomation I have, this is what she told me and I haven't even seen the computer yet.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Installing XP on top of Win98 is a reciepe for disaster . . I'd pull the drive, attach it to a working pc and salvage the files . . then wipe the drive and install XP the right way. It works best with you attach to the secondary channel ( the one with CD/DVD drives ) for the file salvage

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I was afraid of that. is there anyway to get her windows 98 back for her and delete the xp off?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Al;most guaranteed to cause a mess, but since it was an upgrade, if she chose the option to keep the win98 files, it should appear in Add/Remove programs

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Ok, I thank you very much I will see what kind of a mess she has tomorrow, thanks again, I will close this thread

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice