Solved: Windows 98se- Java program troubles

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ace1316

Hi..I reinstalled Windows 98se and everything is mostly working now..lol..I haven't throwed it out the window yet...anyway...I downloaded Java and installed it, but if you go to a game site where you need Java it doesn't work. I went to the Add/Remove Programs and it's on the list, but if you try and click on Java in the Control Panel..the computer freezes up. Any ideas anyone as I have downloaded Java 1.5 and 1.4 and both did the same thing? Thanks

Try deleting all the folders for Java in c:\program files

Then run the setup program for it again.

Ace1316

Thanks Rollin' Rog and Flounder 22...I tried both things but I still have the same result....I cleared the hard drive again today and loaded Windows 98se ...then I used a disk with java 1.4.2_08 on it, but same result....I really don't understand why this is happening as before the puter got messed up...the java worked...any more ideas would be appreciated.

P.S. Its my wifes puter...going on the 5th day not working..please someone help....

I use both ie, and ne browsers, for some screwy reason after doing some upgrading of windows 98 se java will not work with the Netscape browser. If, however I use the ie browser it works fine.

I have the sun vm one. I gave up trying to figure it out and just have to use ie. LOL

Good luck!

Maybe the version of java you put on the disk is corrupt. Can you unininstall it?

One thing you might do is simply download the full version of Opera, which will include the Sun Java install.

Ace1316

Oh maybe..I used my puter to download it...should be able to uninstall it..it never all loaded...if not I can always start over...I'm getting good at doing that...lol..........Opera?? I haven't heard of that..where would I find that?

Sorry, on checking their latest downloads, they do not appear to be offering the integrated package any more. Still if you are unfamiliar with it, it is worth checking out. I've been using the free version for a long time and make great use of its many features -- though these take some time to learn.

www.opera.com

Another alternate browser preferred by many:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Ace1316

Thanks alot..I will try those...you know..I was sitting here thinking...would it be possible if the Windows 98se I installed has something wrong with it...cause over the past 5 days I have downloaded...java 1.4.2.06....1.4.2.08....1.5...and installed them and each does the same...when you goto the control panel and click on java the computer freezes...

I don't know why that would happen on a clean install unless there were an underlying hardware problem.

We might try getting you the last version of "Virtual Machine" that Microsoft offered, but I'm not sure how compatible it is with the latest java using sites.

Does this only happen in the Control Panel? Because it's possible you are clicking on old java control panel extensions if they were not deleted after a bad install.

What you can do, if you get a "successful" install with no errors on the install is test it right off at this site:

http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

There is no need to go into the Control Panel to check or enable it. This can also be done through the Internet Options > Advanced menu.

Ace1316

I downloaded and installed Mozilla Firefox and then went to there site and used there link to get the Java. I installed Java 1.5 and it works, I also just now went to bodo.com, that also works too. Thanks again for all the help...oh one other thing...should I do the Windows updates?

Yes, I have to recommend that you do. Although because I am rarely online with my Win98 system, except to post a file or a screenshot here, I don't pay much attention to their updates these days.

But Internet Explorer, which you may be using from time to time, Firefox notwithstanding, is critical to update and to install the last cumulative patch for it as well.

Glad you got the Java problem worked out, who knows what the previous problem was. I prefer people to download the whole setup file manually to the hard drive, rather than to try "web based" installs which are more prone to error.

Feel free to ask more questions, but if all is well on the posted problem, you can mark the thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools tab.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online