1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 98SE-powersupply question ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xfile47, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

The Computer keeps running very slow (has DSL) I no there are no virues or spyware or anything, ran trend micro, spybot, adware, spysweeper, have ie-spyad, scriptdefender, Norton, ran cwshredder, HJT all clean.

alot of errors that the resources are dangerously low and sometimes things do not want to open like Microsoft word some times it all works well then sometimes you cannot anything like some times when it is acting up and you click on the start button there will be nothing in it, then nothing works.

I was lost as to what to do so I checked the power supply with a tester, the tester says it is bad.So I thought I had found the problem, however I looked on the gateway site which is what the computer is and found the righ power supply and it says this, I put it below which says it has a power good signal and the way I under stand it that the computer would not even turn on unless it get the power good signal so doesn that mean that my tester isn't right? it is brand new, can someone help on this?

Power Supply Function and Operation

The basic function of the power supply is to convert the type of electrical power available at a wall socket, 120 volt, 60 Hz, into current the computer can use, +5 and +12 volt DC current. Usually the digital electronic components and circuits in the computer, such as the motherboard, adapter cards, and disk drive logic boards, use +5 volt power, and the fan and disk drive motors use +12 volt power. For the computer to run properly, a steady supply of both types of current must be supplied at all times.
    Although the power supply generates both +5 volts and +12 volts, it also generates -5 volt and -12 volt signals. These signals are not used by any of the motherboards Gateway has sold. The -5 volt signal was originally used by analog data separator circuits found in older floppy disk controllers. This is why the -5 volt signal is supplied to the bus. The signal is routed to pin B5 on the Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) bus and is not used in any way by the motherboard. The -12 volt signal was originally used for motherboards that included built-in serial ports and was routed to pin B7 on the ISA bus. All of Gateway motherboards have serial port circuits that run on 5 or 3.3 volts.

The main function of the +12 volt power is to run disk drive motors. Although a +12 volt signal is routed to the motherboard, the motherboard logic does not use this signal. However, this voltage is available for use by any adapter card on the bus. Besides supplying power to disk drive motors, the +12 volt signal is also used to run any cooling fans present in the computer.

In addition to supplying power to run the computer, the power supply also ensures that the computer does not run unless the power being supplied is sufficient to operate the computer properly. By doing so, the power supply actually prevents the computer from starting up or operating until all the correct power levels are present. The power supply completes its own internal checks and test before allowing the computer to start. The power supply sends a "Power-Good" signal to the clock timer chip on the motherboard when the correct power levels are present. If this signal is not present, the computer does not run. The effect of this is that when the AC voltage drops and the power supply becomes over-stressed or overheated, the Power-Good signal ceases and the clock generator circuit stops the processor by stopping the clock signal, forcing the computer to reset or shutdown completely.

2. johnpost

johnpost

i wouldn't think your power supply had anything to do
    with your problem.

your problem is w98se and lots running on the machine.
    it is not difficult to overburden that operating system.

if you can cut back on what you have running or
    get an operating system that is more robust at
    multitasking.

3. brite750

brite750

the resources refered to in Windows has nothing to do with the PSU, it has more to do with how much ram you have in relation to how many programs you have going in task manager. Your computer can still post even if the power supply is less than perfect, although it may cause problems, locking up, restarts, etc when it gets stressed. If you have any doubts i would get it tested by a pc shop.
    As far as your slowness, you probably need more ram, if you can post your pc specs, make/model etc. we can make a better determination as to what your problem may be.

4. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Make is a gateway it is Gateway GP6-400c
    I found the power supply on gateway site 6500361 it is th ASTEC it has two under that number
    model number on the back of the computer is Micro ATX FMN-400SE
    and serial number is 0016682937
    there is a modem but not being used
    a NIC card for the dsl
    cd-rom
    floppy
    and harddrive

has two sticks of pc100 128 MB FOR A TOTAL OF 256

I ran everesthome and it says there is 256 and 167 used with 88mb free
    I deleted all temp files, cookies, history

I caught hotbar/zango on it but spysweeper removed it also caught cws -aboutblank and spysweeper said it removed that

I have ran trendmicro and it is clean
    spybot clean
    adware clean
    spysweeper clean
    have ie-spyad
    script defender
    spyblaster
    Norton what else do you need to no?

5. johnpost

johnpost

still depends on how many programs you have running at the same time.

w98se and 256M ram is not robust for multitasking.

running word is a big load by itself. if you have a
    bunch of other stuff running also then it would
    run anywhere from slow to lockup the machine.

6. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

ok, gotcha thanks for the help, I thought it was probably the ram but wasn't quite sure, I will close this thread

7. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I had it running good at my house, when I checked everesthome it said out of 256 ram I was using like 177 or so anyway there was free ram left. anyway everything was working good. I unplugged it and took it to my x wifes place and plugged it in and start get\ting the same low resources etc etc as before and couldn't open anything. I turned it off and it sat there for 20 min or so and I started it back up and all of a sudden you could use everything again, and was still working when I left. I still think it is the power supply. I think it ran long enough at my place to heat up and then wouldn't run when it got to her place, then shut it down and let it sit and then turn it on and it works again. My tester has 6 green lights and one light under them . It says if any of the green lites are not on or the one lite that is alone if it is red then the power supply is bad. only 5 of the green lites came on and the one that is alone turned on red which says that if you continue to run the powersupply it could damage something. Now wouldn't you say the powersu-pply is bad? they can make you computer run really crappy if they are starting to go out but not all the out yet, can't they? let me know your idea's on this and if what I say makes sense,Thanks

8. brite750

brite750

you may very well have a bad power supply, and also have a hijack/spyware problem and a bunch of other stuff wrong also, i doesnt take much to slow down win98.
    you can post a HJT log in the security section of TSG to make sure pc is clean, do a defrag of hdd, etc. and it still may not get you there, and of course there is always a fresh install, that was the only way i could keep win98 running with that minty freshness.

9. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

xfile47, you marked this solved but I had to add my two cents.

With Windows98SE, low resources is almost always due to too many programs running at start-up (as was mentioned before).

Start>Run>type msconfig>startup tab
    The only entries 98SE needs at startup are Scanregistry and Systemtray. You also want your anti-virus and firewall (if you have one) checked.

There may be other programs you want running at boot, but these are the only ones 98SE needs to function properly. It's amazing how many programs insert themselves into the startup and bog your system down.

You can also download/install/run HijackThis and post a log here, that will show exactly whats running on your computer.

10. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

11. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I used a startup program and the only thing on start up are the antivirus and the things need I also went into msconfig and did it. I know how to do that.
    I also no how to keep it clean
    ran spybot--clean
    ran adware--clean
    ran spysweeper--had aboutblank got it removed--ran again it was clean
    ran trendmicro house call---clean
    have iespyad
    have scriptdefender
    have spyblaster

the computer has no spyware, adware, or viruses
    I looked in the HJT Log and it is clean

They have ran the same programs for years, I even unhooked there printer, scanner, etc the only thing running was the keyboard and mouse and monitor.

Everything checks out except the powersupply with a brand new tester all 6 green lites should lite up and one does not, also the one lite below those six should not lite up but does lite up red which says it is dangerous to continue running the power supply.

Now with all that said--What does it sound like to anyone??
    the only thing I can come up with is the power supply must be bad the tester says so and since it just start doing this a week or so ago and nothing was added to the computer I would think it has to be the power supply.

I reseated the memory
    I don't no what would be left, any other ideas since all of the above has been done??

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice