Solved: Windows 98SE Re-Install, Faulty

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DrewGBowman

Hello,

I reciently ran C:/windows/options/cabs/setup.exe (the windows re-install file) in safe mode on my computer because it would not startup and frose on the loadup screen. The program executed and "loaded up windows for the first time" and started to do the hardware recognization. The thing is that it freezes up here and then restarts (probably form some system error).

I re-ran the re-installer and the same thing happens. I can only access safe mode, and there it even gives me a warning... "the add hardware wizard can not function in safe mode" (or something like that)

Is there any way to bring back windows, without doing a full re-install with the recovery disk, because I have 16 gigs of data on the HDD

blues_harp28

Hi..you could try...F8 at start up..at command prompt..type..scanreg/restore
Choose date before problem..not the oldest...

DrewGBowman

That seams to have did it. On the first reload of Windows, just the mouse froze up, but on the second time everything was back to normal.

Thanks for your help!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online