Solved: Windows 98SE Won't power off

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

msgtgumby

Did a format and fresh full version install of Windows 98SE on a Gateway that previously had ME on it. Everything works great, had no trouble getting drivers and such, except sometimes (not all the time) when I press the power button the screen goes blank like it's shutting down then sits there with a cursor in the left corner. Computer drives still spinning. Have to hold down the power button to get it to go off. This was never an issue when Windows ME was on the machine. I haven't opened the case and done anything, just the format and install of 98SE. Anyone help?

Thanks.

although the fix you found worked, I have had similar problems and know others who also had this problem and found it to be caused by yahoo and or yahoo messenger.
Don't know if you use either but if so you may want to check it also should the problem re-occur

msgtgumby

Don't have that installed, this was happening after a fresh format and install of 98SE with no extra programs installed on the machine yet. I'll make sure they don't install that though if it's known to cause it too :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online