1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Address book won't open

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mreddys10, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

Hi,
    My computer is running windows xp sp3. I have outlook express 6 and windows address book installed.
    My problem is the I cannot open the address book (never had a problem before), and cannot access my contacts even through outlook express 6. I get these error messages when i try to open:

Outlook Express 6:
    "The address Book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configured, please re-install"

Address Book:
    "Unable to open the address book. The Address Book may not be installed properly"

I used to be able to open the address book fine before, but not anymore. I cant access any of my contacts through these programs, but I am able to view my contacts through 'Microsoft Office Outlook 2003' only.

Any way I can fix this? I did search for a solution before posting here, but most of the solutions I found were for Windows 95 and 98.

The main reason for me to use my address book is that is allowed me to transfer my contacts to my phone via bluetooth directly from inside the program. Since I got the iPhone, I havent bothered to open the address book, but I do have another phone that I want to copy my contacts to.

2. azmak

azmak

you need to have your winxp disk before you perform these steps

Export and delete the following registry keys:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WAB
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WAB

Rename wab32.dll and wab32res.dll from C:\Program Files\Common Files\System to .BAK

Start => Run => msimn /reg
    Run => regsvr32 C:\progra~1\common~1\system\wab32.dll
    Run => regsvr32 C:\progra~1\outloo~1\oeimport.dll
    Run => regsvr32 C:\progra~1\outloo~1\wabimp.dll

restart your system and then check.

3. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Why do I need my XP disk to perform these changes? I have an HP laptop with a corrupted recovery drive, so I dont have a disk, and there is no way for me to reinstall xp.

Can I go ahead and do these things without the cd? Is it a big risk?

4. Pedro15

Pedro15

Try getting to Address Book as follows

My computer/Local Disk(c:)/Documents and settings/user/Application Data/Microsoft/Address Book

You may need to change "user" to "all users" but the above is how I got to address book for back up purposes.

Pedro

5. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

Hi Pedro.
    I copied the .wab files to another location. But this still does not solve my original problem :). I cant open these .wab files. Are there any other programs I can use instead of the windows address book?

And should i go ahead with Azmak's suggestion even though I dont have a backup of my OS?

6. Pedro15

Pedro15

Did you follow the suggested way into Address Book.

If so you might be able to open address book by clicking on the "user.wab" file .

You can then export file .

Pedro

7. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Sorry about the late replies, exams going on.

Pedro:
    I did go into 'documents and settings' and located the .wab files. I have copied the files to another location. But like i said before, I cannot open those files since Address Book itself does not open.

The only way right now that i can even VIEW those files is through MS Office Outlook 2003. Cant copy any of the contacts or send any contacts.

8. Pedro15

Pedro15

Were you able to open the wab file when in Documents and Settings, and before you copied file ?

Pedro

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi mreddys10

Did you at one time have an earlier version of Outlook installed before installing Outlook 2003?
    See if Outlook is configured to share contacts with Outlook Express:
    http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm

Do you have a Registry key that looks like this:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\UseOutlook
    If so, is the value of UseOutlook set to 1?

10. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.

EAFiedler's solution seems to have worked. But a previous 'shared' folder where my iPhone's contacts were stored is missing. This may be temporary. I will sync it once and see if it comes back.
    Thank you for all the help guys.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/835515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice