1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows auto update, background intel service file missing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by martinj88, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. martinj88

martinj88 Thread Starter

Hi, first my details

Vista Ultimate
    AVG anti virus
    Windows firewall

Now for my problem, when i try to use windows update it will say its checking for updates (which takes 5-10mins) and then it will begin downloading updates which is where it will stay until i click "stop downloading" and after 5mins it will say "some updates were not installed" and will list the updates as failed.

I would also get an error code "80246008" and when I look on windows help it say to make sure "Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) " is started but when i try i receive an error box saying
    "Windows could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service on local computer"

"Error 2: the system cannot find the file specified"

I've used update before and it has worked fine and I can't remember exactly when it stopped working or changing anything that would effect it. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure I gave all the info, thanks in advance.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does the "Path to Executable" in the Services console say "C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs"?

Do a search to be sure you have these files:

qmgr.dll
    bitsperf.dll
    bitsctrs.ini

Unhide hidden files to look for these.

Try unzipping the attached file and merge the reg file inside to restore any damaged registry entries.

Attached Files:

• BITS.zip
      File size:
      1.3 KB
      Views:
  3. martinj88

martinj88 Thread Starter

Hi, yes my Path to Executable is the same but I am missing the "bitsctrs.ini" file.

Also when I try and merge the bits.reg file i receive a message saying

"not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes"

I also tried doing it in safe mode.

Thanks for your help.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try shutting down the COM+ Event System and Windows Update services temporarily to see if you can merge the file.

The path for the other file is:

C:\Windows\inf\BITS\0000\bitsctrs.ini
    or
    C:\Windows\inf\BITS\0409\bitsctrs.ini

5. martinj88

martinj88 Thread Starter

I shut down the COM+ Event System and Windows Update services but still no luck merging bits.reg and I also found the bitsctrs.ini in the same path as you said.

Would it be possible to get copies of the files from the Vista disk and overwrite to ensure that the current ones are not corrupt or would that cause incompatibility issues?

Edit:

I just compared your .Reg file with mine and the only difference is this

Yours,
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters]
    "ServiceDll"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,\
    00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\
    71,00,6d,00,67,00,72,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00

Mine,
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters]

Not sure what, if anything it means exactly but maybe someone else does, thanks.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can export your key and then copy and paste the parameters from my entry to yours to see if it helps.

For file validation and repair, you can go to Start > Run, and type:

cmd

In the command window, just like in XP:

sfc /scannow

Unlike XP, however, you probably won't need your DVD since file copies are already present in the installation.

7. martinj88

martinj88 Thread Starter

I have tried them both but unfortunately they did not work. if there is a file missing as the error says, it may be best to reinstall Vista

EDIT
    I fixed it by going into the Registry Editor, locating the BITS folder and changing the permissions for the sub-folder "parameters" to allow for ADMIN then attempted to merge the BITS.reg file again, which was successful.

Thank you for your help.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Ah, a permissions issue. Very resourceful of you to have thought of that. I wouldn't have suspected it from the error message.

Congrats.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/638599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice