1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows backup utility

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by boo5790, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boo5790

boo5790 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Hey all, i am just wondering if when windows xp is installed, is the windows backup utility normally installed during the xp installation? i have read in several posts where advice was given to make sure people use the windows backup utility before they start fixing problems. being curious i went to my start>all programs>accessories>system tools>and there is no windows backup utility installed. being computer illiterate, i am just wondering if it is complicated to install it?

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Windows XP comes with a backup tool called NTBACKUP (NTBACKUP.MSI from Windows XP CD-ROM). In Windows XP Home Edition, this tool has to be installed manually from the CD-ROM, whereas in Windows XP Professional, this tool is installed by default.

Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD to start a wizard that installs NTBackup: X:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP
    X:\ refers to the CD-ROM drive-letter

Note: Usually, OEMs such as Compaq, DELL won't ship the Windows XP CD nor they include the NTBACKUP utility by default. You can download a copy of NTBACKUP.MSI here.

3. boo5790

Hi Jack Hackett, i have the xp home cd but i downloaded the backup utility from the link you supplied. it was quicker. the backup utility is now in my system tools. if i do a backup with the windows backup is there any reason to keep the erunt backup? i could not figure out how to set the erunt to delete backups after a week anyway. i have been deleting older backups manually

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Remember that the use of the Microsoft Backups will only work with the same OS. So when you go from Vista to Windows 7, the backup made on Vista may not be readable by Windows 7. And they will not work the other direction.

This has been the major problem with Microsoft Back up, even in the DOS days. This keep all of those third party programmers working.

5. boo5790

hi DaveA, i am using windows xp and have no intention of switching to vista. just wondering if i make a backup with the xp backup utility if i need to keep erunt? my thought is no but just wanted to make sure

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I understand that "erunt" is a registry backup program and the Microsoft Backup is for backing up the whole system or the desired user files.

They are like apples and oranges, two different worlds.

7. boo5790

Ok, thanks for the info. i'm learning as i go

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/833604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice