1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows bootup issues - please help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mlucas7, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mlucas7

mlucas7 Thread Starter

I'm hoping someone on here can at least help me to get files off my laptop -

My fiance turned her laptop off yesterday prior to us going out. When we came back, she tried to turn it on and it would should her "compaq" bootup screen, then it would show a black screen. Eventually it would read: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

So I put the Windows disk in, ran the recovery console, and followed the microsoft directions (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477) - doing method 3 and 2.

Once I did that, I tried to reboot and this popped up:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: ntfs.sys

So again, I followed the directions, renaming ntfs.sys - ntfs.old and copying over ntfs.sys to replace it.

Finally, I thought I had fixed it. So I started it back up, it got to the Microsoft Windows Home Edition screen that comes up (the black screen loading up windows) and then it a blue screen popped up saying: SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

I tried to get into safe mode so I could get to the desktop to restore to a point where the computer worked right, but it starts to show a list of the files loading up for safe mode when it gets to a point and the same blue screen pops up.

Basically, if I have to reinstall windows to hopefully fix it, that is fine, but I would like to know if there is: A) any solution to fixing the problem and at least B) being able to files off the drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated and i thank everyone in advance for trying to help me with this problem.

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

You can get the files off the harddrive by:
    a) Find a boot disk/live CD that can read NTFS drives and backup data.
    b) Connect the harddrive as an external to another computer and browse through all the files easily (you might be able to find the windows problem this way too.)

3. mlucas7

mlucas7 Thread Starter

In case you do not get my private message, how would go about doing option 2 - making it external?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The whole problem was probably due to file system corruption resulting from an improper shutdown.

Try running chkdsk /p or chkdsk /r on the drive from the Recovery Console.

If you can then get to a boot option screen, and it won't start normally, try the Last Good option.

5. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Just in case that doesn't work...

You can download Ultimate Boot CD here:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
    There are options to download different types of files depending on how you plan to use them. I'd recommend .iso format but you'll need a program like Nero or UltraISO to burn them to a disc (if anyone knows of any free software for this, please post.)

I sent you a PM about externals. But in case you didn't get it or for any one else searching the forums:

You need to get an enclosure (also known as an external conversion kit.) You can buy them at BestBuy or a similar computer store. For a laptop harddrive (2.5 inch,) A USB external kit is probably the best way to go. The best thing to do would be to take the harddrive out of the laptop, put it in a static-protective bag and bring it with you to the store. That way the sales representative can help you pick one out that is compatable. A good one should cost around $40. If you would prefer not to spend money, you can try using a boot CD.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. mlucas7

mlucas7 Thread Starter

Question: Since this gets me into windows, I can do a system restore? I will do whatever I can do with it, but I thought I would ask while this was downloading.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It doesn't get you into Windows. It runs from the CD and has some recovery and repair programs installed.

9. mlucas7

mlucas7 Thread Starter

Since I have no experience with this ultimate boot disc, I have another question:

I am more then sure the laptop I would be booting was Windows XP Home Edition SP2 but the disc i have is SP1 - is there anything special I need to do because of this? I followed the link Dr. Chauncey posted and it lead me to the windows version (http://www.ubcd4win.com)

I saw some things in there how to section for sp1 but not sure if that would apply as the laptop was up to sp2.

THanks!

10. dogged

dogged

do you have a desktop as well? if so are the laptop and desktop networked meaning can they see each other and share files? if yes then you should be able to boot to a live linux cd in the laptop then browse the hard drive and back up whatever files you need on cd or just transfer them to the desktop computer or even save them to a jumpdrive. you have many options here to choose from and all the members here are very good at this. elvandil and dr. chauncy are good gurus hehe so follow their words to the letter and you'll get through this crisis.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

ubcd4win will work fine with SP2. It will give you a Windows environment, running from CD and memory, from which you can run chkdsk, recover files, burn files to CD, and much more. You can even edit the registry on the sick machine. You'll find this CD very useful. And if you have registered programs that you want to add to the CD, there are directions for that, too.

But you need an SP2 version of XP to repair an SP2 version. You can make one:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    http://www.5starsupport.com/tutorial/xp-recovery-cd.htm
    http://www.smithii.com/slipstream_xpsp2

12. mlucas7

mlucas7 Thread Starter

The disc is currently burning - I will be running it very shortly.

Is there anything in particular I need to do or is the disc pretty much self explanatory?

I thought about the network idea dogged, but apparently the laptop isn't shared with the desktop - the desktop is though

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

The one thing you need to remember is that it is running from a read-only environment. In other words, you can't change settings in the programs because they are written to a CD and unchangeable. You may get an error message from time to time about something not writable to disk. That is normal in that environment.

If you decide to use the CD burner, you need to set up everything, get all the files you want to burn in the window, and don't remove the UBCD until just before you are ready to burn (unless you have a separate CD burner). Once the CD is removed, you can then burn from the program already loaded into memory, but once that is done, you are done and the UBCD won't work any more until you reboot.

14. mlucas7

mlucas7 Thread Starter

I followed this website to slipstream (http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html) and when I did the integrating part a box came up:

setup

Failed to copy some or all of the files necessary for integrated install.

Please check that:
    a) No network or copy errors occurred during the integration process
    b) The format of the desination directory is correct.
    The files to be integrated must reside in an i386 and/or ia64 or nec98 directory
    (i.e. for an i386 share, if you typed "update /s:c:\cdshare", the files must be in the c:\cdshare]i386directory).

15. dogged

dogged

if the desktop is shared then the live linux disc may see it. either way you go bro it is a very great learning experience and fun to see what you can and can't do with a live linux cd. hehe!!!! just all a matter of trial and error and poking around :p .

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice