1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows cannot find 'F:\RECYCLER\40109cb.exe'

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by anwesh_sinha, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anwesh_sinha

anwesh_sinha Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I need your help once again.I have a Segate Goflex USB HDD 500 GB. I have some important data in it and having problem in accessing them. When I connect my HDD to my laptop Presario V2000 (WIN XP SP3) it shows all the folders as shortcut. Also when I double click on any of them, it displays an error message as "Windows cannot find 'F:\RECYCLER\40109cb.exe', Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search."

Please have a look at the attached screenshot for details.

Also, I tried the well known "AUTORUN Eater" software to resolve this issue, but of no use. AUTORUN Eater is running on my system since 13 hours, but it still says status as "Monitoring".

Please help me in resolving the issue.

Thanks,
    Anwesh

Attached Files:

2. anwesh_sinha

Anyone guys, who come across this issue and have some resolution. I am still looking for someone who can resolve this issue.

Thanks,
    Anwesh

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    What has happened is that the drive was infected with a virus, which fortunately seems to have been taken out by your AV software. I strongly suggest that you run a scan of the drive just to make sure it is completely gone.

However, this virus seeks to infect machines by replacing the folders with shortcuts to itself, so that anyone trying to access a folder executes the virus instead. As to getting your legitimate folders back, I cannot guarantee it as I've not seen this particular virus but I'd guess they've been hidden. Follow the instructions in this TSG Library of Knowledge article to show hidden files and folders. (Show system ones too).
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/File_Attributes#Showing_Hidden_and_System_Files

Post a second screenshot of what you see.

4. anwesh_sinha

Hi Ent,

Thank you for your response. I am in office now, once I reach home, I'll reply back to you with the required details.

FYI, I have already scanned my External HDD twice with AVG as well as Kaspersky nti Viruses, but of no use. I have also tried ATTRIB option of Windows command Prompt, but that was also useless.

Thanks,
    Anwesh

5. Tarifa_Pirate

Tarifa_Pirate

I use unhide.exe when i am fixing these problems after the virus is gone. search google for it to download from the bleeping computer website.
    will automatically unhide all your icons.

If you have only shortcuts to your files and folders and these are virus's you are most probably still infected. (deleted when virus is gone)

6. anwesh_sinha

Hi Ent,

I just checked that Hidden Folder option was not enabled, so this should not be the issue. I am clueless on how to resolve this.

Please guys, share your thoughts if have any ideas.

Thanks,
    Anwesh

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I think you may very well have a virus that has infected your external HD.

I would click on Report and kindly ask to be moved to the Virus & Other Malware Removal forum. Be sure to provide the appropriate reports in that forum after reading THIS. From there, be patient. The malware removal experts are very busy! You should get an answer within the next 48 hours.

8. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    It it possible that your computer is also infected, and so it does seem wise to get it checked over by the malware team. We can look for the missing folders afterwards.

9. anwesh_sinha

Hi Techies,

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions and thoughts. I am glad to inform you that I have resolved this issue. The problem was very simple but unique. All the folders on my External HDD were somehow haing the target path as "%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /c "start %cd%RECYCLER\40109cb.exe &&%windir%\explorer.exe %cd%From Home HDD
    " instead of just "F:\From Home HDD".

I just removed the infected Target value and put there as "F:\From Home HDD" and it worked. I was so worried about the data as it was having 165 GB of my valuable data.

It feels nice to resolve this issue. :)

Thanks,
    Anwesh

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice