1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Solved: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be co

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thisismyuser, Nov 8, 2003.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thisismyuser

thisismyuser Guest Thread Starter

Please help me. For both of my cd/dvd rom drives I get the following error: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device. How can I fix this?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

thisismyuser

2. ch1as

ch1as

any newly installed software? (easy cd , gear, etc..)? you can also try isolating the 2 drives if there slaved. Try one and see the responce in device man. , then try the other. see the responses you get.

3. thisismyuser

I recently installed drivers for a digital camera, it said a driver stream.sys was corupted and then all these problems started. I unisntalled the camera and the problems still exist. What should I do? I heard there's a command that you can use to get windows to verify all files and replace corrupted ones, would that work? What's the command? What should I do?

Please help

4. GazmanAus

GazmanAus

The command you're thinking of only applies to Windows files. Any user installed files won't be checked this way. Still, it doesn't hurt to check. Just remember, this will replace any changed Windows files so any modded exes, dll etc will be replaced with their originals.

With that, click START-RUN and type in "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes). Have your WinXP CD handy as you might be prompted for it.

5. thisismyuser

OK, I'll try that

6. thisismyuser

oh crud, I can't cuz it's my cd drives that aren't working:(.What should I do?

7. GazmanAus

GazmanAus

You might still be in luck depending on a few things:

1. You know the names and location of the corrupted files.
    2. That there are copies of the original file in your windows/system32/dllcache folder.

If that's the case, then copy the file from the dllcache folder to the location of the corrupted file.

Also, look to see if you have a folder name i386. If so, you can still run the sfc command but when prompted for the XP CD, browse to that folder instead.

8. ch1as

ch1as

also, did you create a restore point before the camera install? it wont reinstall the DLL's but it will give replace the registry in case the issue lies withen there.

9. thisismyuser

All I have for a clue is The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device. Are there drivers I should look for that cd/dvd rom drives use in general?

10. thisismyuser

Tried that several times, didn't fix it:(

11. GazmanAus

GazmanAus

Are there any yellow or red flags showing up in your Device Manager? If so, then this might be a start. Right-click on the My Computer icon and choose Properties. From there click on the Device Manger button and check. Post back any results.

12. GazmanAus

GazmanAus

There is another option but it requires the ability to boot from the CD drive. Check to see if you can still do that (load your WinXP CD into the drive then restart the PC). You might have to set the option to boot from CD in your BIOS.

This is the extreme option and you may lose some data (though I never have in all the times I've done it).

13. ch1as

ch1as

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\

This is where you can find info on your devices ***DONT MODIFY WITHOUT BACKING UP!*** (export it!) but Ive experienced problems with my drives before and all I had to do was to remove the upper and lower filters on the folder that contained my cd /dvd info. It was a big problem with certain software but I havent heard about it with camera software.

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} This is simialar to what the folder will look like in this path. typically 4 or five folders down. Just click on each one and look in the right pane window to see the discription.

Do not do this if you feel uncomftorble especially if you dont have a CD drive. And I cand guarantee this will fix it, Id just look to dee if you had the filters and go from there.

14. ch1as

ch1as

cant guarantee

15. ch1as

ch1as

you should also have a file created by Windows in your INF folder, you may want to check. %SYSTEMROOT%\winnt\inf\cdrom.inf. this is your basic CDROM driver (there may be others but Im unaware). If you installed other drivers for your CD (third party). its probably labed "oem<#>.inf Ex:eek:em6.inf, depending what order it was loaded will tell you the number after oem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice