1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows cannot open this file: To open this file Windows needs to know what program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by neos1, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

created it. Is their a way to add file extensions to Windows little bag of tricks?

Case in point: McAfees Stinger makes a report .opt - Windows states that in order for
    Windows to open this file Windows needs to know what program made it. Isn't there
    someplace in the bowels of XP that I can add that .opt and no longer have to go through
    the

If I change the .opt to .txt Windows can open it in Notepad but it has some strange chicken
    scratch oh I know the chicken scratch has a name, I just don't know what it is at the moment
    and that is not the point here anyway.

This one is terribly simple I know. By choosing the second option I'm able to pick from several programs.........but........

there are files that I download from the internet that once "filed away" seem to come apart at the seams and all I have
    are the peices without the gluethreadscrewnail that held them together and made them so darn interesting in the first place.

Attached Files:

2. lister

lister

The .opt file is for stinger to store configuration files - it doesn't need to be associated with a program as such, as Stinger will look for it when it is run.

If you don't want to keep them you can delete them and the next time stinger is used it will make another - why are you trying to open it?

Generally with unassociated file types, if you check 'Select the Program from a list' and select the program that you want to open the file with, it will associate that file with the program from then on - as long as the option 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' is checked.
    You've lost me there.

3. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

For instance this file was taken by "save page as" off of Information Weeks Websight.
    when I double click on it this is what I get.

Attached Files:

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

[​IMG] Uh.... No

5. lister

lister

Sorry, lost again. What has saving a webpage got to do with your questiion?

6. dragjack

dragjack

errrr.... you mean you SAVE the webpage and then all you see are the individual parts... Well that's how webpages are built. When you save a webpage, unless you SAVE IT AS AN MHT file, you will get that structure.

as for the opt file extension, since it's related to stinger, it would usually be a configuration file that can be deleted. that's all...

7. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

Hey:) wasn't that a fine response. Shows your years of computer experience and incredible people skills:)
    Keep up the good work!

8. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

I have other webpages saved that work, none of them with an .MHT extension. I've tried to rename the file to get it to work.

9. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

I guess I didn't realize that I was looking at the peices of a webpage, and it dousn't have anything to do with it:) The original qestion
    was about the .opt files that were appearing on my desktop which dragjack explained were configuration files(?) for the Stinger program,
    and were unecessary.

It appears that I was asking two different questions and one of them was not configured very well.

10. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

Now Windows XP is telling me that it cannot open Windows Defender or Adobe Speed reader
    launch.

When I log on and am waiting for everything to load, a pop up telling me windows cannot
    open Adobe Speed Reader.

When I click on Windows Defender to run it, a pop up tells me the Windows cannot...

Ewido, McAfee, and Spybot come up clean when I run the scans.

Attached Files:

11. dragjack

dragjack

from what i see you are trying to access Windows Defender from a link. Try finding the program itself and see if you can run it from base folder.

right-click on the shortcut on your desktop, and click on the PROPERTIES item at the bottom of that menu. Click on the Find target button (see my attachment) That should take you to the root folder of the application. If that is empty, then the application was uninstalled or deleted. If not, then reestablish the link by selecting the Windows Defender executable.

Attached Files:

12. dragjack

dragjack

also, have you got the latest Windows Updates???

13. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

they came in a couple of days ago and I allowed all to be loaded, although when it reads
    "these updates cannot be uninstalled makes one a little nervous.

Just have time enoughe before work to post this. Why would all my short cuts all of a sudden have .lnk on them?
    Now that I think of it , this all started when I installed a download manager.

14. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

I'm not getting the same graphic as your attch.

Attached Files:

15. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

I've just reread your post and the reason why I'm not getting the same properties box is
    because I have no shortcut to Windows Defender on my desktop I have the file in programs
    on C:, and it listed in the programs list in add and remove and in the programs list in >Start>
    All Programs but it is as if its not loaded. Here is something that may help. I installed DAP
    for my download manager. Seems these problems started then.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/504033