1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows cannot see Hard Disk Drive after format - Help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andyc101, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andyc101

andyc101 Thread Starter

Hi All

I’m having a problem rebuilding a friend’s computer which was suffering from the BSOD! I could not find a way of resolving this, but I did manage to get all the data by plugging the hdd into another sata cabled machine in the house.
    I then formatted the disc, put it back in the original Dell Case and tried to load XP, this is where my current problems start. It loads the XP files and gives me the option to install, repair etc, whatever I choose I get the message “Windows cannot see a configured hard disk, make sure cables are connected etc”.
    When I look in the bios I can see the disk is recognised ok!!
    Could it be that I have removed something during the format that are vital to the running of the disk? If so does anyone have any instructions how to reinstall?
    The problem machine is a Dell Dimension 8400 with a barracuda 7200.7 Sata hard disk.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Andy

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

XP Setup can't see SATA drives, you have to provide the driver either on a floppy disk or by slipstreaming them into a new CD. Or possibly by changing the BIOS setting, but you do lose the advanced SATA functionality.
    The driver can be found here

The Dell should have a Recovery partition that will re-install everything to the way it was when it came out of the box. Assuming it hasn't been deleted of course.

When the system boots, does it display a blue band at the top of the screen with www.dell.com?
    If so, press CTRL+F11 a couple of times while the blue bar is displayed, and that will start the recovery process.

If not, you'll need to provide the driver some way.

Installing Xp onto a Sata drive without a Floppy Drive
    Install Windows XP on SATA without a Floppy (F6)

Another Slipstreaming Guide:
    This guide walks you though Using Autostreamer to slipstream a Service Pack. Though it refers to XP, the AutoStreamer program works with Win2K (adding SP3/SP4 to any version) and Win2K3. Also works with adding SP3 to XP.

XP SP3 can be downloaded from here

Installing Xp onto a Sata drive with a Floppy Drive
    How Do I Install Windows XP On A SATA Hard Drive

Another option is changing BIOS settings:

HTH

Jerry

3. andyc101

andyc101 Thread Starter

Thanks Jerry

some very useful stuff here.

I am sorted back to XP on the machine by using the Dell restore which is Ctrl and F11, F12 is for the BIOS settings.

All was going well until i noticed that i cannot see either of the cd/dvd drives, both of which are shown as "not present" in the BIOS !!!

I have tried disconnecting them - reboot - shutdown - reconnect master only - reboot. But nothing is still shown.

Any Ideas?

Thanks Again
    Andy

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Can't find a previous thread that had this same issue on a Dell. Seems the Dell's can only boot from the Master CD, not the Slave. In that case, they had installed an IDE Hard drive as Master and set the CD as Slave.

Only thing I can think of is to double check the drive jumpers on the CD/DVD drives. Remove them, then put them back on, this will "wipe" the pins to (hopefully) insure a good contact. Make sure that either both are set to Cable Select (the Master will be the drive on the end of the IDE cable) or one is Master and one Slave. The Master may need to be on the end of the cable, even when jumpered.

Reseting the BIOS to defaults, or using the clear CMOS jumper if the system has one (or remove CMOS battery for 10-15 minutes with PC disconnected from AC power) might be another option.

Jerry

5. andyc101

andyc101 Thread Starter

Many thanks for your help Jerry.

i disconnected the drives, rebooted, re connected, booted and was able to reenable them in the BIOS.

all sorted and working like new.

Thanks again, top work.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/824276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice