1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Components problem (IE7 & WMP11)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by anomaly7, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anomaly7

anomaly7 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I got a bizzare problem. I dont know how it started but, this is my problem.
    I cannot open Internet Explorer from the shortcut on my desktop or anywhere else. All shortcuts have been removed. It was definitely not by me or anyone using this computer.
    Then when i look for the primary file "iexplorer.exe" even that has been removed. I searched the entire hard disk. i even searched for "iexplore.exe" none found. I was able to find IE 6 "iexplore.exe" in "windows/ie7" folder but thats not IE7. while i was trying to daignose this problem by reinstalling and uninstalling IE7, Another problem popped up, I found that Windows Media Player 11's shortcuts were removed. I cannot find the primary "wmp11.exe" execution file when i search for it. In WMP11's case i am not even able to uninstall..i mean rollback to the previous version..Seems like lot of corrupted files..Now even after reinstalling IE7 i am not able to access or find the primary executable file. I am not able to find any shortcuts. But all html files have been by default open by IE7 and they do open in IE7. I am just not able to open or find the executable files of both IE7 and WMP11.

PS: i ran Ad aware, Spybot, windows defender, AVG anti spyware and AVG antivirus
    found no problems..i dont have the original windowx XP pro CD either :(

I tried doing sfc /scannow
    but for every prompt i had to cancel the request for WinXP CD..
    I also tried
    windows/inf/ie.inf <--install
    even that prompted for SP2 CD..so cancelled that too

I ran out of options..

I have Spybot Tea timer running so every regedit has to pass by me..i encountered numerous registry changes for every install and uninstall of IE7..is there by any chance the registry might be corrupted?

I have system restore disabled..so thats not an option for me..

i recenlty fiddled with the registry about "folder options problems". got it fixed right here in this forum :)

I had to face monitor problems as well off late..got it fixed by updating the drivers..

now this creeps up :(

2. anomaly7

anomaly7 Thread Starter

My system config:
    Windows XP pro SP2
    512mb RAM
    80GB HD
    automatic updates always on..

3. anomaly7

anomaly7 Thread Starter

just found out.. Accessories folder in program files is also missing..but it works from the start menu :(
    seems like some of the system components are hidden or removed :(

i also want to bring up ths point
    in the folder options
    "hidden files and folders"
    i have only two options under this
    "show hidden files and folders"
    "do not show hidden files and folders"
    i dont have the third option which is something like
    "do not show protected system files"

4. anomaly7

anomaly7 Thread Starter

All the components work well..the point is I cannot open them independently.. i have to opena files from that file i have to use the application in the case of IE7 and WMP11..

5. anomaly7

anomaly7 Thread Starter

sorry for wasting your time..got it figured out myself.. thanks anyway :)
    the fault is that..they are all system files so they can be viewed by unchecking "protect system files" just below the hidden files option. Thanks again

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice