1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Windows Defragging and NSW Disc Optimiser

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cinders, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Hello,

Can anyone please tell me if I use NSW (Utilities) Disc Optimiser regularly, should I also do the regular Windows Defrag?

Thanks

Cinders:)

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

No!

You never want to mix and match defrag programs. One will undo what the other one has done.

Speedisk is superior to the MS defrag in that it allows you to do some file placement.

For example, I use it to keep all of my "static", seldom changed files as well as my large files (MP3s, graphics, etc) at the end of the disk drive. Then, they will not get in the way of speedisk as it is defragging the rest of my drive. (it would have to move large files out of the way, and then back again)

3. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thank you WhitPhil,

Now, I have always used Windows defrag before.

I have only recently installed NSW 2003, and have tried Speedisk once.

Will it be ok, then if I now change and start to use Speedisk regularly instead of the Windows defrag?

Many Thanks,

Cinders

4. hewee

hewee

Yes use speeddisk now as it is better.

5. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thank you hewee,

Regards

Cinders

6. hewee

hewee

Your welcome :)

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

As WhitPhil points out, Speeddisk is better than MS defrag in that it will let you place files that seldom change at the end of the HD, which is what I do.

Place files like jpg, gif, mp3 and any others you can think of that don't change at the end. However, be advised that the FIRST time you do this Speeddisk will take a very LONG time. This is because you are totally rearranging the file placement on your HD.

Once you have done it the first time Speeddisk will run much faster the rest of the times.

Think of it this way, if 20% of your files never change, they won't get fragmented and when speeddisk runs, that is 20% fewer files it has to look at and defrag. (y)

8. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thank you everyone.

Cinders

9. hewee

hewee

Your welcome :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice