1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows did not detect any networking hardware

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dense, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dense

dense Thread Starter

Trying to aid my wife's Dell XPS 12 laptop running Windows 8.1 which is having problems with internet and network connections. I'm more familiar with Windows 7 and find 8.1 somewhat mystifying. According to the unit's device manager the Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 network adapter is enabled, "working properly" and has the most updated driver. Yet when I attempt to connect to the internet, I get a pop-up dialogue box with a "Windows did not detect any networking hardware," message. Help!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell XPS 12 laptop comes in 2012 and 2013 models, so we need to confirm which one you have.

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?

----------------------------------------------------------

I've never used Windows 8.1, so I'm not familiar with how it installs and configures its devices.

----------------------------------------------------------

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How are you trying "to connect to the internet"? If by Wi-Fi is the wireless switched on (Airplane Mode OFF)?

4. renegade600

renegade600

did you try a power cycle with your modem and router? sometimes it will fix network issues when one computer is not working and others are. To do a power cycle unplug both and turn off the computer, wait a minute then plug in the modem, wait a couple of more minutes or until all the proper lights come on then turn on the router. finally turn on the computer.

5. dense

dense Thread Starter

Frank, the Service Tag is FZG4N12 and the Express Code is 34795141526. For what it's worth I think the laptop has somehow lost it's WiFi and Ethernet drivers. Not sure how that happened. Do you know where I would go on-line to find the proper drivers? Thanks for responding. Sonny

6. dense

dense Thread Starter

How are you trying "to connect to the internet"? If by Wi-Fi is the wireless switched on (Airplane Mode OFF)?

TerryNet - Trying to connect by WiFi. Airplane Mode is definitely switched Off. Not sure it the wireless is on though, because I think it's WiFi and Ethernet drivers have been lost (see reply to Frank Flavalle. Thanks for responding.

7. dense

dense Thread Starter

Renegade600 - Yes I performed the router off-on maneuver to no avail. Thanks for responding.

8. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi Just sticking my nose in here. You haven't provided the model number that flavallee requested. Once you supply that, drivers can be found for your PC.
    Always install the chipset drivers first, then you can install the wireless drivers.
    Sorry some times my PC vocabulary lacks a lot.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Dell's web site. Support section. Use the Service Tag for easier searching.

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the Dell support site that's assigned ONLY to your Dell XPS 12 (9Q33) 12.5" touchscreen laptop.

When you click on "Drivers and downloads" and then select "MS Windows 8.1 64-bit" for the operating system, the list of device drivers will appear.

Here is the most current driver for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 device.

------------------------------------------------------------

11. dense

dense Thread Starter

Thanks to all you folks who've offered your help. My wife being the impetuous soul that she is, went to a December restore point at the cost of a lot of customization and some data, which of course was what was trying to be avoided. At any rate her unit is at least functioning, and with your suggestions on where to get the latest drivers maybe we can avoid the trouble she's had from here on. Thanks again so much for your kindnesses. Sonny (dense)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice