1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows does not Load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nullkrush, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nullkrush

nullkrush Thread Starter

I recently got my compaq back on the internet. everything was going fine until the windows update automatically started. I though oh cool... It just needs to update files. So I let it go. my computer was running really slow at this time, but i fuigured it was normal. After it was done it said it needs to restart before it takes effect. So I did and the problem is... now I just loads up to the 'Compaq' Screen and does not go anywhere from there. Usually it takes maybe 2-3 seconds and that screen is replaced by the normal booting up process. I'm really bummed and I want to just reformat my HD and start from scratch, however it wont even allow me to go into the restore with my restore CD.

any help would be much appreciated.

Specs: Compaq 256mbr Intel Celeron 1.8ghz

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Did it come with XP on it? Or was XP an upgrade? Are you able to tap F8 while starting and access safe mode, or last good known configuration?

3. nullkrush

nullkrush Thread Starter

It came with XP... and it wont go to anything if I hit F8. It's like it's totally fried :(. It just sticks at the very 1st screen that says COMPAQ. I just hope there is a way to fix this...

4. ~Candy~

Time to open it up and check connections....unless it is still under warranty....which is probably unlikely.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Do you have a set of Compaq recovery disks, or does your machine have the provision to make a set of recovery disks from a hard drive partition?

6. nullkrush

nullkrush Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys! I went ahead and took your advise and opened er' up. First off... It was really dusty. After I resolved that issue, I checked for any loose connections. I couldn't see anything that was loose or not connected, but I disconnected/reconnected all the cables that I could. I removed my RAM and re-inserted it. (during this process, might I add, I tried calling compaq for support. Yeah, they were trying to charge me 40 bucks just to TRY to get it working and they could'nt guarentee a resolution. Fat chance) Anywho. After going through the checks and that whole spiel (sp?) I felt defeated and decided to plug her up for one last try. And to my surprise it loaded up. perfectly.

Thanks again for all the help, It is GREATLY appreciated

7. ~Candy~

Thanks for the follow-up. You can mark the thread solved using the THREAD TOOLS drop down menu.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice