1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows doesn't detect HDD on startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by The Juba, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Juba

The Juba Thread Starter

Hi there,

I'm running Windows XP sp3 and have a 500G Transcend USB external hard drive without external power and all was working very well, but suddenly Windows doesn't detect my hdd on startup, the Safely Remove Hardware item appears in the system tray and is showing the presence of the drive but it doesn't assign a drive letter to it and it also doesn't appear in My Computer untill I unplug it then replug it. Does anyone have a solution for this annoying problem. A little help is appreciated very much, thanks in advance.

2. The Juba

The Juba Thread Starter

The problem seems to be the HDD itself because i've tried another external HDD and it's working fine, what possibly can be the problem it's a very new HDD?

3. The Juba

The Juba Thread Starter

I've downloaded the hdd format utility from the Transcend site en formatted the hard drive, that finally solved the problem, thanks anyway.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks for letting us know how you fixed

I have recently read some articles that talk about how you need to reformat External HDs before using them...and this improves reliability and reduces this type of error

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice