1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Windows Easy Transfer" incredibly slow

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ralphygarfield, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield Thread Starter

Ok so I'm running Windows 7 Easy Transfer right now between two very new and up-to-date Windows 7 PCs. I'm using the network connection.

Everything is moving incredibly slow, and for a while it seemed like it was completely frozen. The estimated processing time has decreased some since a few minutes ago, but right now it says it's going to take 2 days, 8 hours.

Indeed I am transferring almost 300 GB, but if I used my external hard drive, it wouldn't take nearly as long. I just wanted to try Easy Transfer for fun.

What do I do? If I can't wait that long, can I end the transfer process?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

I reckon it should take about 10 hour on a 100 mbit link.

3. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield Thread Starter

Can I just stop it then?

I'll figure out myself afterwords what files are incomplete.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

I would think so.
    I have never used it.

5. MowermanEd

MowermanEd

I was faced with the same scenario. After waiting for 30 mins I canceled the process and restarted it. The second time I only transfered windows and program settings such as favotites, folder options, etc. and it completed in no time at all. I backed up all of my data to another drive and then transfered it all back after the easy transfer was complte.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875508