1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Explorer crashes or right-click

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nikolajo, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nikolajo

nikolajo Thread Starter

When i right click on desktop to display the menu "refresh / new / properties/ etc. " Windows explorer freezes and gives me an error message "Stopped working" and then restarts explorer.exe

This only happens on Desktop , it works in folders or programs.
    I tried killing explorer.exe and then running it again but that didn't fix it. I also tried restarting my PC and that didn't work either.

Any ideas?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Right-click crashes are caused by third-party shell extensions.

Effective usage of ShellExView to resolve right-click problems
    Download ShellExView (from nirsoft.net) and run it. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions. Once the scan is over and the list is displayed, you need to spot the context menu handlers. Sort the results using "Type", so that the context menu handlers are displayed together.
    The rule is to disable non-Microsoft context menu handlers *one-by-one* and verify if the problem is solved. If disabling one does not solve the problem, undo the disabled item and disable the next non-Microsoft handler. Do the same until the problem is solved and finally identify the culprit. Scroll right to see the Company Name column in ShellExView.

3. nikolajo

nikolajo Thread Starter

ok I downloaded it and did as you said.
    It got fixed after i disabled some items,i found out that this is the problem:

Also the problem now is gone. After i disabled them i re-enabled them again and the problem was gone.
    But now when i right click , some items are missing from the Right click menu.I think it's the NVIDIA control panel

4. nikolajo

nikolajo Thread Starter

so, how do i fix it?
    When i restart my computer the problem re appears and i have to disable it again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice