Solved: Windows Explorer Error/Close when click or right click on MP4 file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MrSenstiv

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help solve this problem.

When I left click or right click on an MP4 file, Windows Explorer encounters a problem and needs to close.
Explorer closes and restarts. If the MP4 was left clicked, Real Player will start and play the file. If the MP4 was right clicked, right click menu will open and error window will open immediately after.

The error report shows:
Error signature
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512 ModName: quicktime.qts
ModVer: 5.0.2.15 Offset: 002d12b5

This problem started today, after I tried to copy a folder containing MP4 files while viewing one of the MP4 files in the folder. Yeah, I know....I remain my own worst enemy.

Thanks

Jim

MrSenstiv

Thanks, Dai,
Do you mean remove QuickTime using Add/Remove Software, and then download new version?

What version should I add?
Thanks
Jim

MrSenstiv

Which version should I load...
7.7.3?
7.02?
Just asking because mine shows 5.0.2.15.

MrSenstiv

Thanks Dai,
Just wanted to be sure about the version because mine is so old.

And - which should I do, Uninstall, or Uninstall Everything?

At Add/Remove Programs, the QuickTime Uninstall prompt reads -
Removing QuickTime system extensions can cause applications to malfunction. Cllick Uninstall to remove the applications that came with QuickTime. Click Uninstall Everything to remove the system extensions as well(not recommended).

I have QuickTime V7.7.3 ready to download.

Thanks again...
Jim

MrSenstiv

Hi, Dai,
Reinstalled QuickTime using 7.7.3, and Explorer no longer affected.

Thanks
Jim

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts