1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Explorer is missing....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Oldwest, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oldwest

Oldwest Thread Starter

I recently had to have my harddrive restored as I had some defective memory sticks. I find that Windows Explorer is missing. I went to Search and it came up with a Windows Explorer shortcut and the following url
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories. When I double click on the shortcut that it shows I get My Documents. This is really strange...can anyone shed any light on this? I use XP and IE as a browser. I really miss Windows Explorer.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Windows Explorer is c:\windows\explorer.exe

If it is missing your desktop will not load and no Start button will be displayed.

And when you get "My Documents" -- that is explorer taking you there.

If you want explorer to open to the c: drive, create a shortcut for it on your desktop (or use the one you found) and right click and select properties. In the target field copy/paste:

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\

By the way you should also find "explorer" on the Start > All programs > Accessories menu. That would be a more proper shortcut to work with.

3. RealSHARPY

RealSHARPY

You could also try and hit Control alt Delete and hit file then newtask (run) and type explorer.exe and hit enter.

4. Oldwest

Oldwest Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I have it now and I really appreciate your help. Problem solved!

5. RealSHARPY

RealSHARPY

No Problem

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/387236