1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Explorer keeps crashing with a specific file

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by james.taylor, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. james.taylor

james.taylor Thread Starter

I have a file on my desktop which keeps making windows explorer crash and restart in a continuous loop. The file is an MKV file from my new HD camera (cheap one off ebay which I am now suspicious is dodgy) which is sitting on my desktop.

Explorer crashes when I log on to MY username almost instantly when it loads up. I'v booted it up in safe mode and explorer is fine but I can't delete the file. Everything (time remaining ect) still says calculating on wont delete it.

I can log on as another user and explorer is fine until I touch that file. I can rename, delete or do hatever to any other file on my desktop (on someone elses account) but as soon as I do something to this file, explorer crashes and restarts so I assume that file is infected. Iv scanned with AVG and malwarebytes and also used F-secure and onecare's online scanner, not finding anything except a few tracking cookies (F-secure was my first scan which removed them).

I'm currently uploading the file to VirusTotal so I'll see what that says.

Any other ideas on how to delete the file? It's useless anyway.

Thank you.

2. Lance1

Lance1

You could try Unlocker I've had a lot of success with it.

3. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

move the file (cut,paste) on a empty removable drive then format that drive.( i havent tested it tough. might make you lol if it work :) )

a radical way to delete the file is to backup your personnal data then format and install windows :p.

4. james.taylor

I see the icon in the tray but it doesn't actually come up.

As soon as I click on it explorer crashes so I can't copy and paste.

Haha. Thats a last resort.

Thanks for the help guys. Any idea why unlocker wont work and any other ideas?

5. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

6. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

Its for XP but it worth the try!

7. james.taylor

Ok I'v just installed Altap Salamander (another file manager) and it's deleted the file with no hicups. I then used system cleaner to empty the recycle bin. Just logged in and no problems. Explorer seems stable. Hopefully the problem hasn't spread (assuming it was malware).

I shall also not use the camera again (I could be evil and give it to a charity shop, haha :D).

Thanks. I'll read it anyway, even though it isn't for Windows 7 :p

8. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

Glad you solved your problem! Plz click the "mark solved" button on upper left corner of your thread :) Thanks!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice