Solved: Windows explorer needs to close

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bd

Hi ,
Long time since I posted for help but right now I have the Windows Explorer message [ Winows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience. ] in the middle of my screen It appears on boot and remains there . If I click close , the desktop icons disappear and reappear and the message also reappears several seconds later . In those few seconds things seem to operate normally but after it appears, things on the screen just blink once when I click on them and nothing else happens.
If I click something , and then click close on the message, it clears the desktop and reappears the previous click is then executed and the lockup is back . I can do things one at a time by repeating this closing process and the application on the screen does not close but reappears also .
If I start Internet Explorer I can work online normally but the message is still on screen although I can move it around. Some times when I move it it is displayed in the new position but also in the original position .

Since IE and Outlook Express work ok , I assume the problem must be within Windows Explorer as the message says but I don't know what to do about it.

I tried to search on TSG but the searches returned a fatal error - 20 second limit had been exceeded .

Any one know what is happening? The error signature says :
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer 6.0,2800.1106 ModName: unknown ModVer.0.0.0.0. Offset: 00000000

The 'click here for technical information about error report' gives a long list of Exception Information
Code: 0xc0000005 Flags:0x00000000 Record: 0x0000000000000000 Adress: 0x0000000000000000
and system info followed by a long list of modules .
It lists : C\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7D.tmpdir00\appcompat.txt
as the file that will be included with this error report.

I didn't list the modules because they would not copy and paste and they probably wouldn't help most of you anymore than they did me. :confused:

I am hoping that this is something with an easy solution that some of you may know and I certainly would like to learn .

bd

HI all,

I looked through the posts on this forum and found this one which had similar problems [but more severe ] . http://forums.techguy.org/t377798.html
Although it didn't mention the problems in the title , I happened to read it because I was curious about SP-2 . In following the progress through the thread I saw the thorough procedure that was suggested . I then went to Major Geeks to see about downloading Hijack This and read their instructions and information about it. One of the things they recommend before using Hijack This is to disable system restore .

I had not tried a system restore on this problem so I did one and it appears to have corrected the problem I was having so I will see what happens and will post the results. If it has no further problems I will close this thread.
Bob

bd

I think, :) I usually like to try to find out as much as I can about the causes of any problems that pop up but not having quickly found a solution and being short on time, I did the system restore without having learned much about the problem cause but the system seems to be normal again.

Having used XP for some time now on several computers I have found system restore helpful a number of times . I will ease my mind with the excuse that there are far too many things for me to learn that are of more importance than the cause of that problem .
bd

Hi bd,

I used the link in your 2nd post on this thread to help me with a similar problem. System restores only helped me temporarily and the messages kept coming back after I rebooted.

But I donwloaded all the spyware stuff and did a clean out. Now my PC works fine. I am sure that I still have loads of crap in there somewhere but I am happy for now.

Thanks for your help.....even though not directly from you.

Corin

bd

If you still have a lot of stuff gumming up the works you can follow the steps and run all the tools and cleaners that are recommended in posts here on TSG. Look at the ones recommended in the reply by Cookie Gal in the SP2 post in the link in the reply above or read some of the ones in the Security forum on TSG.

It seems that some will not find and/or fix some problems that others will but they may miss some of the ones that the previous ones do find so it no longer is as easy to clean up a system as it used to be. Often one tool will report files of another tool as being suspicious.

I don't schedule regular maintenance but I do clear temp files , offline content, history, etc. whenever I think it has been long enough or that my use of the system may have exposed it to collecting some garbage and I am careful what email I open even though my ISP has a good filter .

I am thankful that I found this site shortly after it started and appreciate the useful info that is available here . It had a special character that remains today through all the changes as it has grown many times the size it was then.
A BIG thanks is is owed to all those who try to help unselfishly here and other sites and affiliations with the same spirit like ASAP etc. Common sense and a little effort will go a long way to enjoying the tremendous benefits of having access to the huge pool of knowledge that is online despite the interference from those who don't properly respect it .
Bob :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online