1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows explorer problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by adam1138, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adam1138

adam1138 Thread Starter

I have just bought a new Dell P.C running Vista Home premium,my computer is now having the same problem my old one does.
    If I right click on a desktop icon,or certain items in folders,I get a message saying "Windows explorer has stopped working,please wait while we try to find a solution"
    Then it says "cannot find a solution,windows explorer must restart."
    I'm wondering whether it's a file or program that is causing this.
    To give you an idea,I have the following programs installed:-
    Norton internet security 2007
    Nero 7 reloaded
    Adaware SE plus
    Windows defender
    Ashampoo Winoptimizer 4
    Creatives mediasource
    Apple Quicktime
    Winrar
    Serif photoplus 10 (Doesn't currently work with Vista,waiting for update patch)
    I haven't used winoptimizer on the registry at all,I messed up the registry on my old PC so won't touch registry cleaners again,I've only used it to clear out internet clutter & temporary files,plus I've used to to tweak certain things like remove arrow on shortcut icons.
    I might try uninstalling Winoptimizer see if it is that that is causing the problem,
    but has anyone any other ideas?

Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, I see two big problems.

1 You have Norton installed. There are many apps that do a much better job [many of them are free] I would really dump norton and go with either nod32 or avast for an AV app. Use a router [hardware firewall] in addition to the vista firewall and you should be fine.

2 You have two burning apps installed nero AND ashampoo. FWIW nero7 has a lot of "issues" most come from all of the extra items installed. If you just install nero burning rom and leave out the rest it works fine. I had problems when I installed nero 7 also. I had to remove it and reinstall just the burning rom part of the software. The nero scout seems to be the most problem prone.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Opps I see that you have ashampoo optimizer installed not the burning app. I would still uninstall it since there really is no need for an "optimizer"

4. adam1138

adam1138 Thread Starter

Thanks,I've been using Norton for over a year with no probs,trouble is I've paid for a years subscription now.
    As for nero,the only things I use on there are burning rom,express,nero vision & cover designer.
    I have a strong suspicion that win optimizer is the culprit as the same problems started on the old PC soon after installing that.
    I'll try removing it & see what happens.

5. adam1138

adam1138 Thread Starter

I have just restored all backups in win optimizer,removed the program & voila!
    It's cured the problem!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Good work. I am not a real fan of third party "Optimizers" You might want to uninstall all of the parts of nero7 you do not use. As I posted scout seems to cause many problems [at least with vista]

7. leojairaj

leojairaj

reg gwquvw.dll run this command and register on the command it will solve the prblem dear

8. moni@inspiron

[email protected]

LISTEN UP GUYS ! I HAVE THE SOLUTION HERE & IT WORKS !HERE IT IS DETAILED :
    ------------------------------------------------
    Download a file to modify the registry
    Download and run a file to modify the registry. To do this follow these steps.

1. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/8/3/c83b06ac-17bc-4677-9f9c-5a3701bc61b2/MSKB946758.exe (http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/8/3/c83b06ac-17bc-4677-9f9c-5a3701bc61b2/mskb946758.exe)
    2. Download the MSKB946758.exe file. Save the file to the desktop.
    3. Double-click the MSKB946758.exe file, accept the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then unzip the file to the desktop.
    4. Right-click the "Familysafety critical update_explorer crash.reg" file, select Open with, and then click Registry Editor. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation User Account Control permission, type the password, or click Continue.
    5. When you will receive a message that asks whether you are sure that you want to add the information to the registry, click Yes.
    -------------------------------------------------
    RESTART THE MACHINE & VOILA ! THE PROBLEM'S GONE
    (y)

9. rodeognome

rodeognome

moni, do you have an info page from MS on this problem?

10. rodeognome

rodeognome

11. moni@inspiron

[email protected]

did it work for you ?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice