1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Explorer stops working EVERYTIME - Need help Please!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ManuelBLG, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ManuelBLG

ManuelBLG Thread Starter

I'm having a pretty big problem with my laptop so I'll just explain the whole situation -

I was trying to move an ISO file from my computer to my external 1tb HDD. The ISO file was around 4.5 gb and when I tried to copy it to the external HDD - it said it was too large for the file system. The HDD was in FAT32 and apparently you can't copy files over 4gb or something like that. So I found on these forums that I should split the file with a program so I could copy it onto the HDD and unite later. So I downloaded this free program called "GSplit" to do the task (I used the program in the past with no problem). I opened GSplit and selected the ISO - so far so good. Then I decide that I want the output folder to be my desktop thinking that GSplit would only split it into maybe like 5 pieces (as it did the one other time I used in the past). I then start the splitting and GSplit seems to be working fine. I leave my computer and go do other things while GSplit does its thing. When I come back to my computer, I see that my desktop has gone black (wallpaper gone) and it is filled completely with all the pieces (files) from GSplit (all my normal icons like recycle bin, my computer, shortcuts are gone - just the pieces files). It turns out that for some reason, GSPlit instead of making a few files like I was expecting - it made ATLEAST 20,000 files!!!. Now Windows explorer stops working (that dialog comes up) and I try restarting it but nothing happens except my desktop does go back to normal (as in my wallpaper comes back and all the shortcuts - but the thousands of files from GSplit don't show up). So now I try to go to the desktop folder to delete the files BUT I CAN'T since Windows Explorer stops working constantly as in from the moment I sign in it stops working and I can't click on Start or anything else (the mouse pointer thing always has the loading circle by it btw). Even If I go into Safe Mode it still does the same thing. The only way I can do anything is to press Ctrl+Alt+Del and then start the Task Manager. Then from the task manager I go to File -New task (run) to open programs (Which is how I am on Firefox and typing this). But from that Run dialog if I try to open a folder instead of a program nothing happens or the folder shows up but it doesn't respond.

I don't know what to do - I need help bad since I don't want to restore my computer since I have a lot of music (I make beats) and I can't backup anything since I can't access any of my folders directly. If anyone has any suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Here's info about my setup -
    - Acer Aspire 5520 laptop
    - Windows Vista Service Pack 2
    - 2gb of ram - 160gb hdd

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

3. ManuelBLG

ManuelBLG Thread Starter

Well I tried doing system restore in safe mode but that didn't work. So I decided to try something risky and deleted the desktop folder - AND IT WORKED! Thanks for the help but I solved it (thank God)

4. kenny111111

kenny111111

congrats, nows a GOOD time to backup.....(you can store quite a few songs on a dvd!!)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice