Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Windows Explorer & WMP unable to recognize DVD+/-RW drive

987 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  dieselx12 
#1 ·
I have a Dell XPS 400 with XP Media Center Edition 2002 with SP2
DVD-ROM drive
DVD+/-RW drive

The last time I attempted to use my burner was in early October, I burned an audio CD using Windows Media Player. Shortly thereafter, I discovered a trojan (and malware, spyware etc.). I jumped through many hoops in trying to rid my system of the trojan, during which XP became unstable and for a time I could only boot into safe mode. I eventually got XP to become stable and rid my machine of the trojan. The reason I mention this, is I believe that my "fixes" somewhere along the line may be responsible for my current problem:

-My Computer lists both of my DVD drives as CD drives, with OR without media in them. [Previously they were displayed as DVD]
-Windows Media Player, under the burn tab, does not recognize that a burner is installed
-Windows Explorer lists my DVD drives as CD drives, and does not offer a recording tab under Properties. [Previously listed properly, with tabs available]
-I am unable to burn a data CD in Windows Explorer
-I am unable to burn an audio CD in Windows Media Player

Here is what makes this odd, if I put a DVD into either drive, I can play the DVD. I have 1ClickDVD Copy for backing up my movies, it recognizes the drives and will burn to the DVD+/-RW. I even opened the Roxio that came bundled on my machine (I never use it) and it would burn an audio CD.

Here is what I have tried so far:
The devices are functioning as told by Device Manager
The drivers are updated as told by Device Manager
I changed the Startup Type for IMAPI to Automatic using Services.MSC
I uninstalled Roxio DLA (never used it anyways).

I think the problem may lie with Windows Explorer (or XP?) itself not recognizing the drive properly. I tried a Microsoft solution, and noticed a problem in my registry. Under the subkey HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives according to Microsoft there should be a listing titled Volume{GUID} for each drive. There is none listed.

I apologize for the long post, but wanted to provide as much info as possible.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.