1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows file is full-122 gig out of 140

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JoeDunlap, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeDunlap

JoeDunlap Thread Starter

My wifes computer (Compac Presario w/140 gig HD) showed the HD is nearly full when I tried to do a defrag. After a long search, I found that the Windows file in the C drive indicates 122 gig of "something" in it. Im too much of a noob to understand what it is or what to delete. There are 350 files of some sort named $ntUninstall......... varying in size from half a meg to hundreds of megs along with a great many others. Can someone point me in the right direction to solve this? (edit. Operating system is Windows XP

2. pip22

pip22

Hi Joe

Windows is a folder, not a file.

the $ntUninstall folders inside there are created when a Windows update or service pack is installed, and the data in each folder tells Windows what to remove if you ever decide to uninstall one or more of those updates.

If you delete any of those folders, you won't be able to uninstall the updates associated with those folders, but beyond that it will do no harm (except you will have some entries in Add-Remove Programs which don't actually uninstall anything because the associated folder is missing).

I personally would leave those folders alone.
    I also have thousands of images, but rather than have them taking up space on my C: drive, I've bought a couple of external drives and I moved all my images to those external drives. Any new images I also put on the external drives.

Why two drives? - because one is a mirror copy (backup) of the other one. If one drive fails, I haven't lost anything.

3. JoeDunlap

JoeDunlap Thread Starter

Per your suggestion, I left those $UnInstall files alone. I did however copy them to a new folder so i could read the properties and they only added up to 2.5 gig, so something else is clogging the folder. Im going to do some more of the same tonight to see if I can determine what it is. Thanks for your help so far.

4. Hughv

Hughv

5. JoeDunlap

JoeDunlap Thread Starter

Thanks Hugh,
    I ran Tree Size and the big offender seems to be a huge number of files called Windows Installer Patch. Together, they total 108 gig. Is this something I can safely delete?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the size of the folder C:\Windows\Installer ?

DO NOT delete anything from that folder. If you do, many programs will start popping up errors, some programs will not be uninstallable, and others will not be updateable. Be very careful!

7. JoeDunlap

JoeDunlap Thread Starter

That folder is 108 gig according to Tree Size. I should mention that my wife has been backing up to an external HD for quite some time now, and this problem seems to have started about the time she started doing the back ups. So far I havent deleted anything, per your instructions.
    Thanks for the help thus far.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

What file? How large is the C:\Windows\Installer folder all together?

In any case, install this Microsoft tool from either the US or Romanian sites. Don't do anything until you come back after the installation.

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility

9. JoeDunlap

JoeDunlap Thread Starter

P.S.
    I have a screenshot of the file folder in Tree Size, but Ill need some instruction on how to upload it.

10. JoeDunlap

JoeDunlap Thread Starter

Sorry. I edited my previous post. it should have said folder, not file. Windows Installer Folder is 108 gig.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Install the cleanup utility and come back. We can get rid of all the "orphan" files that are not needed any more.

12. JoeDunlap

JoeDunlap Thread Starter

OK, I have it installed. I started it and it has listed a number of files and programs that can be deleted. Holding at that point.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Don't delete anything there. Those are all programs that you have installed. We want to use a command line ability of that program. Close that program.

Open a command window. Exactly like this, quotes, exclamation sign, and all (paste it if possible), execute this command line:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" G!

After it is done removing orphans, check the Installer folder size again.

14. JoeDunlap

JoeDunlap Thread Starter

Seems to be a problem with it. When I try to open the command line box, it flashes on and dissappears.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you close the program window?

Are you using Run or command line? Use cmd.exe in the Run box if you want.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice